Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has a MSD box?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Dec 2, 2001.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I'm getting a MSD 6 Off-Road box for Christmas and I'm curious who has one and how they like them. I read the write-up on the off-road/chevy site and it looks great.
    I want to know where you guys have mounted them and what kind of difference you have noticed.
    Also want to know if anyone has run a stock tach with the MSD box because it says something about bypassing a filter on the GM tach.
    -- Mike

<font color=blue> Married to a woman who understands the need for <font color=orange>Hugger Orange. [​IMG] <font color=blue>

2. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

I have the 6a box on the firwall passanger side at the top close to the disributor and I have AC. sorry don't have a tach on it yet

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have the MSD 6 Offroad box, and I love it. It is probably the best mod I have done next to swapping in a 350 (for 305). The driveability increase is enormous. When the box got installed it was like a whole new truck. It gave me better throttle response, acceleration, driveability, and fuel economy. It gives me much better passing power on the highway too.

You will need to get an MSD coil also, because the MSD boxes are known to cause the stock coils to fail in as little as a day or two. I would also recommend MSD super conductor wires, that way you get full potential out of your box. Otherwise it's like running 11/2 inch exhaust on a 454, you don't get its full potential because of the restriction. My .02

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Oh ya, mine is mounted (looking into the engine bay from the front of the truck) above and to the right of the AC box, and up and to the left of the engine and distributor. It is very high on the firewall. It is really close to the hood. Nothing on the tach either, sorry.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

5. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I run the 6-AL with the stock '87 coil, and a stock tach (from a ~'76). Works fine, I have it mounted to the firewall near the air filter.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I run a 6AL box on the Burb and the Firebird. When I put injection on the Jimmy its getting one to.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I have a MSD Offroad box, coil, MSD super conductor wires and NGK's gappeed .060 over. It works great, but I think you would see very very similar results with just the coil and over gapped plugs. The MSD box helps cold starting a touch, but other then that doesn't do much more then a the GM stock until 4500 rpm or so.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>