Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has a Warn winch?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TX Mudder, Mar 20, 2002.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I'm looking at a winch for my truck.
    I've never had one, so I went to 4WPW and they said the HS9500i would be about right for my truck.
    That's seems plenty big, plus you can always use a pulley to double the pulling power if needed.
    Unfortunantely, the only bumper available for my truck (73-80) is a Classic bumper. It's black powder coated.
    I don't want to jump into this and wish I had got somethign different.
    Any opinions?
    And by the way, where do you mount yor license plate on a winch bumper? The winch is in the way!
    -- Mike

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

You could prolly have a local fabricator make you a wincher bumper that was relatively cheap and exactly what you wanted. I got mine from KMA, pics are in my web shots. It has pretty much everything I would want in a front bump, but that would be the good thing about having a local guy do yours... you could get what *you* wanted. Hard to imagine a better way to avoid the "wish I had something different" scenario.

AFA the license plate, np, you could attach it to your grill (if u had an aftermarket one) or the bumper itself on the side. Dunno if the warn has enough spacer there, but my KMA certainly does.

J

3. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

HEY GUY LOOK DON'T GET THE WARN BUMPER, IT SUCKS I KNOW I HAD ONE YOU COULD NOT EVEN PUSH A SMALL TREE DOWN WITH OUT IT BENDING. THE WINCH TRY TO GET A 10,000 OR BIGGER. IF YOU BREAK SOMETHING ON A BIG HILL YOU WILL NEED THE BIGGER ONE MY 10,000 HAD A HARD TIME THE LAST TIME I REALY NEEDED IT.

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I've got the 'crappy' /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Warn Classic bumper.........it's even chrome, and the M12000 winch. The bumper might not be able to push down a tree on the sides, but figure I'll avoid trying that based on the knowledge I've gained here /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif. The center section is strong enough for a 15K winch..........must be strong enough where it counts.

If you can, get the biggest winch you can afford.

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

or you can be like me and do the multi-mount setup /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. jekbrown

if u want to push small trees down u might wanna go with the KMA. Once I put the diagonal side-support bars on that bad boy it will be able to push down LARGE trees! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

J

7. Little Giant

Little Giant Registered Member

I have an HS9500i on my truck (but only used it twice I think). It would probably work well for you. Its typically a few hundred bucks cheaper than an 8274, which is why I chose the HS.

I'm also running a Warn Classic bumper. Its held up fine so far, though I did think the metal on the side portions was thinner than I would have expected. I have to note the HS9500 will not fit into the classic bumper without modification. I figured that out the hard way when I pulled out the 8274 and installed the 9500. Check Warn's <a target="_blank" href=http://www.warn.com/InternetHome/products/MountSystem/AppCharts/ChevChart.shtm>application chart</a> I had to do a bit of cutting, grind down the head on one bolt to make it fit. Not really that big a deal thinking back on it now. Just pissed me off, trying to install a Warn winch and a Warn bumper and...it doesn't fit!?!

The license plate mounts on a provided 'L' channel bracket on top of the bumper. Though every time I look at mine I think I should just zip tie the plate to my grille.

The suggestion of having a local shop make something up is worth exploring in my opinion.

Want another opinion? Whatever you choose to buy and how you choose to mount it, stick with Warn. Weather its an HS, 8274, M12...I've heard nothing but GOOD things about their customer service.

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I have a Warn Classic and it will push down trees when I am done. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

9. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I got the Warn 9500 and the bumper. Works fine. Looks good. You can bend the outer ends, but there isn't anything that you can't bend one way or another. The classic is a compromise between weight and strength, its worked OK for me.

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Here is a pic of mine <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4/aal>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4/aal</a>
    There are more pics of it in my gallery just click below.
    I have Warn HS9500i w/ KMA Wincher(modified).
    So far the both have worked great! I have pulled other rigs and used it to pull an 500lb+ acor out of the lake and up the boat ramp and also our 7man duckblind. So far the winch and bumper have done me right!
    Good Luck

11. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

yes the center part is great that is why i cut the ends off and modified the warn bumper from there .

12. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

my winch is pretty worn but she makes a heck of a pot of coffee, so I think I'll keep her. Hon, if you read this... I love you.

John

13. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

do you have a welder? or a friend with one. Just make the bumper. cant beat a custom made. The warn bumpers(3) that I've had didnt hold up to trees(4 hits) everytime I was sober just playin in the mud and couldnt see. Go down the middle of the pipeline not the side. I wasnt going very fast maybe 25 at the most. they just crunched on me.

14. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input.
    Now that I'm convinced the Classic bumper won't hold up to me (I seem to run down trees too frequently) I'm looking at the KMA bumpers.
    I like the look. Two big D-rings up front, black, place for a winch, strong. Looks to fit my needs.
    Anyone know how much they cost? I emailed the company, but I assume it will be a while before they reply.
    And why would you want the lights in the bumper itself? I have perfectly good lights on the truck and don;t see the need for turn signals in the bumper.
    -- Mike

15. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

some people just like lights. In the state of louisiana if your lights are morre than 54" off the ground you have to relocate them. probably just so they can charge more though

nathan

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

My 72 came with the blinkers on the stock bumper so i had to get the blinkers installed or i wouldn't have them at all up front!
    I got my KMA back in 99 for 230 +50bucks for the Drings &amp; blinkers + 60 bucks shipping.
    Good Luck

17. jekbrown

i forget the exact price i paid for the wincher... the turn signal kit and D-rings add to the cost, as they are options.

At any rate, I like the turn signals in the KMA. I have an after-market grille on my rig and removing it is that much more of a PITA with those cheap plastic-housed factory lights stuck on the back. Just personal pref I guess, to each their own.

the only thing I am going to add to my KMA is some kind of end-support bars.. similar to the factory brackets. Im sure if u hit a tree in the very end of the bump it can make quite a bit of leverage on the mounting points on the frame rails. By adding a support to the ends, it'd be bomb proof. Go ahead and hit a redwood if u wanna. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

J

18. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status