Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has actually bought Aftermarket body panels and where?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by GRINCH, Jun 5, 2002.

1. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Who has actually bought Aftermarket body panels and where? I bought my son a project truck for his first ride.
    1982 GMC Short Box 4x4. (He didn't want a Blazer, At least he stayed GM)

I need to replace both Doors and both front inner fenders. I should be able to salvage the outer fenders. Minor rust so far as I can see. We are going to strat taking it apart today.
    Will be doing a pro job... ie POR15 the frame and all new parts
    So this is why I want to find some good aftermarket parts. GM prices are way out of my budget. The best prices I could find so far is from www.autopartsland.com Just worried about getting what you pay for!!!

Thanks

2. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I bought my fenders from here they fit fairly well all but one hole lined up but that my have been from the inners I bought from JC Whitney
    http://www.partsmaxinc.com/

Hope this helps

3. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Check out :

http://www.lmctruck.com/

I think you will find everything you are looking for and their product is great.
    I've ordered alot from them to get parts for my Jimmy.

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if he is old enough to get a job have him get one... or start mowing yards and lemonaide stands... j/k. gm panels are nice. and fit well. i would advise saving up for them.
    i loved how EXACT they were to the stock fenders on my 86.
    grant

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Get what you pay for comes to mind. I've seen aftermarket panels, (tailgate) and the seams weren't finished, and the metal was about half as thick as stock.

I have to give it to Goodmark, although I haven't seen any of their products, they just came out with a Monte Carlo steel cowl hood, and apparently it is a *perfect* fit. They seem to really care about quality, which is probably reflected in the price.

I don't think GM parts are "all that" but as of now, I have a feeling their body panels will be the absolute top of the line in fit and finish. Give GM a couple years though, and their body panels will equal some of their other replacement parts in quality. (read: cheap junk made in Korea)

7. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

have to jump the band wagon on this one. all of my panels came from GM - my local dealer, and I would NOT have done it differently..EVERY piece lined up PERFECTLY...I only had to do MINOR- like 2 minutes of fine tuning on both doors and fenders to get a perfect line....I'd save $$$ and get the good ones. Most aftermarket panels are not guaranteed to fit..and most catalogs state that...I for one wouldln't want to deal with some idiot on the other end of the phone, when a door wouldn't fit...

Brandy

8. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

First off remember Junior is a 15 year and god forbid but odds are he is going to get tagged or tag someone..

That's why GM parts are out of the question. The junk yards around here are also very proud of thier parts. I was looking for some who has bought aftermarket parts they were OK and fit decent.

http://www.partsmaxinc.com/ only has inner fenders for a 82
    http://www.lmctruck.com/ Had bad luck with other parts from them.
    www.goodmarkindustries.com couldn't find any 82 & later parts.

www.autopartsland.com best prices and lowest shipping so far. Need some input on this one..

Thanks all for your input.. Keep it coming if you know more...

9. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You know a lot of times, parted out vehicles have "decent" if not "perfect" used panels on them, and usually pretty darn cheap. If a vehicle hasn't been wrecked, the panels should line up, and for $400, at least locally, you can get a real nice front clip, which I doubt you could do even aftermarket with new pieces.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would NEVER pay what they get for GM fenders for anything other than a show truck. JC Whitney's fenders are nice and really cheap ($20 at their lot sale on Saturdays).

JC Whitney's doors are garbage, don't buy them.

Anyone who pays $600+ for one outer fender got screwed. You might not think so, but that's just insane to pay for some fenders, especially when you're going to cut them for big tires anyway.

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I have seen some JC Whitney fenders and they are thinner material, poorer construction (spot welds are weak) and don't fit as well. It all depends on what you want to do with it. Another alternative is to find a donor tub that is clean, maybe buy a 2WD that's thrown a rod?

You can hang cheap panels on a truck that is all straight, but if anything is tweaked, you can pop the welds out of the cheap panels by putting a load through them to get them to fit. It's also going to be a different story in a collision.

Maybe a truck with all aftermarket panels would be quicker and get better gas mileage?

13. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

My front end is aftermarket, no complaints at all. I wouldnt have any problems buying them again. they fit nice and in all honesty seem pretty stout. I banged a guard rail on and icy highway and bent my bumper and dinged the fender. Put a little crinkle in it but hey it still looks good.

Im lucky though we have tons of choices here in detroit for aftermarket panels. add up the difference $55 versus $600 plus and i think you answered your question.

Craig