Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who has actually put a poncho motor in a chevy truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Jul 20, 2002.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

my buddy just bought a catalina with a farly fresh 400 in it and needs a little swap info. he is putting it in a 78 short wide with a th350. aside from the obviouse BOP plate and fabbed motor mounts, what else is he up against? also what is a stock ponco 400 rated at? thanks!

2. 84K5BD

84K5BD 1/2 ton status

i have , but i swapped in a 455, it wasn't that hard to do. as for power it depends if its built or stock
    if its stock and you know the year you can look up specs in an old motors manual.

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I've got a TH400 BOP tranny in the garage! Interested? Other than that, I don't expect that it should be a difficult install.... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Below the right side head (passenger side), you should see a stamped two digit letter code on the flat portion of the block. This will have the "Engine Code". Have him get me the engine code and I will tell you what the factory specs are. Also, give me the head code on the center two exhaust ports.

Pontiacs make loads of torque!

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If he wants a BOP TH400 I have a friend in Central Oregon with an extra one... Swap out the output shaft for the 4x4 version and it should bolt up to the T-case.