Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who Has AfterBurner Headers???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Monster, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Monster

Monster Registered Member

I was looking for a set of header pipes that did not cost to much. I was wondering if these headers are good and if the paint stayed on them. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I had a set of these. As soon as you run the vehicle with them, the paint burns off. I didn't notice any difference in performance with them over the stock manifolds.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Headers are not an item to be cheap on. Buy the quality ones now so you're not spending more money to replace them when the cheapies burn a hole in the tubes. Cheap headers will also rust out on you fairly quick. I personally like the Hooker Competition series headers with the thermo berrier coating. If you get the Hooker Headers, get the regular competition series, the super competition series headers are made of thinner metal. The coated ones are garrented never to rust !!!!

4. Gary 86 K5

Gary 86 K5 1/2 ton status

how much do hooker comps normally go for?? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. TIGHTWORK82 K5

TIGHTWORK82 K5 1/2 ton status

i got the regular flowtech's not the afterrburner's I like em . the paint did come off but I hit'em up with some 1200 deg bbq paint, flat black looks good has not came off yet. performance wise alot better than stock but have not tried any others. 110 bucks at pepboys! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Called Jeg's (1-800-345-4545) prices are $143.99 non-coated, and $328.99 for the coated ones. These prices are for a small block 73-91 Fullsize Blazer 4X4. <<< Hooker Headers Competition series >>>

7. Gary 86 K5

thanks!!! looks like im gonna get the uncoated ones and then get some bbq paint /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. TIGHTWORK82 K5

TIGHTWORK82 K5 1/2 ton status

hey runn'em once or twice to get that factory crap off first.

9. Gary 86 K5

yeah ill definetly do that first, i found out with my camaro that if you just put the high temp paint on over the new longtubes, it all comes off within the first 5 minutes of running the vehicle /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

10. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

The ceramic coated Afterburners are $240 through Summit. I've had mine for over a year and the coating is still perfect and they fit great. The Summit part number is BIG-49152-1 if anyone is interested.

11. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Here's what mine looked like after a month:
    [​IMG]

Here they are after painting them with VHT exhaust paint. Pic taken after about 500 miles on new paint. They still look the same after 8 months.
    [​IMG]

12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just put a set on my 78 (they were free). They are a decent quality and have thicker flanges than the regular "flowmaster" headers, and the collectors are decent. I have a set of Hooker Super Comps that are made of thinner steel in the pipes (but similar flanges and collectors) on my 80. The afterburners will probably last longer (thicker pipes), but I didn't like how close they came on the passengers side to the front shackle (Hooker Super Comps fit great) ***I installed the ORD shackle kit as the originals were tweaked. They are a considerably thicker and use bigger bolts/nuts, so that may have made the situation worse than with a stock shackle***. I had to grind the shackle bolt and the nut on the 78 to make the afterburners fit without hitting. I also installed poly mounts (motor and t-case in the 78 when I did the headers) and the headers still come very close to hitting the shackle, and probably would if I had the stock worn rubber mounts. Moral of this story.....They are a decent header, but not the best fitting (again maybe due to the bigger shackles, it may not have been that way stock).
    Hope this helps

13. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just put Afterburners on my truck. They fit a lot better
    than the Dynomax headers. Plently of clearance around the
    ORD shackles. I would repaint them like everyone else said.
    I had to bend my auto shift linkage a little to get it into
    1st gear.

14. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I had to bend my auto shift linkage a little to get it into 1st gear.

[/ QUOTE ]

The rod from the steering column to the linkage does come close when tranny is in "1", but it looks as if the P.O. shortened it (looked cut, and rustier at the end). Mayhe he had the same problem with the previous headers that were on it.

Did you put the bolts facing out or in. If I had it to do over again I would put the bolts facing out, but the shackles were already in and the Header was in the way so I could not remove the bolt and put it in from the other direction (my bolts face inwards)

15. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I put the shackle bolts facing in so the zerks are on the
    outside, then I trimmed the end of the bolt off. I had to
    bend the shift linkage away from the header tube near the
    top of the frame and then cut about an inch off the end
    so it didn't hit the exhaust pipe.