Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has BEEFIER Diff Covers than THESE!?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ryan B., Dec 1, 2003.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Anyone have beefier diff covers than this? I don't think so... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Here is (willyswanter) Jason's IOR Dana60 front diff cover... 1/2" plate ring and 3/8" plate cover.. Perfect for mounting my hydro ram off of. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Even has an inspection hole/ filler plug in the front of the cover.
    [​IMG]

And this is (KidJethro) Joe's 14FF diff cover, ALL 3/8" plate. Extra Deep to hold more gear oil. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [​IMG]

I tested both of these diff covers out this weekend and all I can say is they are awsome fab work and totally BEEEEEFY! Makes those 1/4" thick covers look thin. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
    Both of these covers all the bolt holes line up perfectly, and they don't hit the ring gear either. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    When i hear "you're on your diffs" or "your smashing your diff cover" I don't even worry as i hit the gas. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    RyanB tested, Rockrash approved. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. noJeepshere

noJeepshere I Drive Trains! Premium Member

wow! you should sell those and make some money. id buy. im just about to lift my truck next weekend and im changing the fluids and while the covers are off, ill paint 'em. four wheeler on a budget, here. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif well anyways, nice work, good skills too, bro.
    CHEVYs rule but GMCs are better
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ryan didn't make those. The front is made by Willyswanter and the rear by kidjethro. They both have been selling them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

why not 1"?

j

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Haha, I used to do all of mine in 1/4" and even some in 3/8" and man was that fun to work with. Having a shop press really helped out there.

By the way, I have hit the total crap out of my D60 cover which is plated with 1/4" steel, and it just keeps laughing and asking for more. Only have paint scratches.

Either way, I don't make them anymore cause of not having full access to the shop that I used to do all the work in. But thats life, I figure I can atleast make things for my own truck without any trouble.

6. jekbrown

yeah, thats what i was thinking... 1/4" is plenty.

j

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah my cover is 3/8 ring and 1/4 cover body, I will plate it over again with 1/4" when I mount my ram to it, for some added strength against the ram.

8. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

Does the added material thickness cause heat issues? I would think that it would not be able to disperse the any heat generated fast enough. Maybe I am wrong though.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Does the added material thickness cause heat issues? I would think that it would not be able to disperse the any heat generated fast enough. Maybe I am wrong though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Metal is not an insulator of heat nor electricity. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Those diff covers are bad ass.

10. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Small correction, the base ring on the 60 cover is 1/2" while the rest is 3/8" plate.

Here is a side pic since you can't see the profile too well on the above pics:

[​IMG]

11. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

So you doing 14FF as well??????????? That 60 looks pretty SWEET. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

12. willyswanter

Yeah, just trying to get cought up on the orders for the 60... Should be starting the 14 bolts soon... Already have the NC code finished for the mill. Just have to go down and do the work.

13. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

If you can remeber drop me a pm when you get started on the 14FF. I will be needing one for mine. If not I will keep my eyes peeled for them.

Eric

14. jekbrown

any of these 60 covers offer greater-than-stock fluid capacity? i want good cooling/lubricating for my 60...

j

15. willyswanter

Not mine, hard to do in the front when you have a tie rod in the way unless you do some funky sump under the tie rod but thats just begging to get ripped off by a rock.

Why do you need better cooling in a front axle when you don't even drive fast on it?

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

needs more chrome.

17. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    Not mine, hard to do in the front when you have a tie rod in the way unless you do some funky sump under the tie rod but thats just begging to get ripped off by a rock.

Why do you need better cooling in a front axle when you don't even drive fast on it?

[/ QUOTE ]

good point, lol! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif i dunno, i just like the idea of having lots of gear oil i guess. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

18. jeremy91k1500

jeremy91k1500 Registered Member

it may not be a conductor of heat or electricity, but it does radiate heat, does it not? there has to be some sort of cooling going on, or you'd gook your gear oil.

[ QUOTE ]
    Metal is not an insulator of heat nor electricity. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Those diff covers are bad ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

19. jekbrown

cant use absolutes here, iron/steel isnt a perfect radiator or a perfect insulator. Certainly closer to the former, but its not absolute. If you've ever touched the handle on a rought iron pan after its been on the heat for a long time, you know this.

as far as conducting electricity, damn near anything will if ya got enough juice (think lightning).

j

20. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

How well do you think the stock cover dissapates heat? I don't think that most covers were designed with heat disspation in mind. Just a cover to hold in the gear oil and protect the ring gear etc.

Anyways, thanks for the good words. The box that I sent RyanB with the cover in it, weighed 31 pounds according to the Fed-Ex scale. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif