Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who has built a 383

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by S. Burnham, Dec 15, 2005.

1. S. Burnham

S. Burnham Registered Member

so i put my crank in and i am checking my clearance btween my rods and my cam. I have 6inch rods and they are hitting the cam lobe. they have alredy been ground at an angle by site up next to a 400 rod. my question is are you supposed to check the clearance with the timing chain on or position the cam to the nearest point. i have not put my chain on yet. i put the cam lobe to the nerest point and rotated the crank. if you are supposed to have the chain on when checking the clearances that means that a 383 is an interferance motor. If the chain breaks or you jump time then you are screwed because the cam is going to get messed up and probable a rod. i know a small bass circle cam will solve this problem but that is not an option right now. if it is just an interferance motor that is fine i just was not aware of that. does any one have an answer or did i confuse everyone, i don't type well so it is hard for me to explain things sometimes.

thanks for any help

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Small base circle cam is the only option I know of. Not certain if setting timing and running it as an interference engine will do the job. 6" robs with a 383 is a tight squeeze.

3. S. Burnham

S. Burnham Registered Member

i guess i will wait untill my machine shop opens in the mornng and find out from him. he said i could grind more off the rods i just don't know if have to because of not knowing which way to check the clearance. the kit was supposed to have come with 5.7 rods but he sent 6.0. i decided to go with them because i read several articals that it was a better setup for durability and power. I think i read to much. nothing i ever read works the same when i try it.

4. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

do it with the timing chain on

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You MUST have the timing chain installed and timed properly. Removing or installing the cam on a 383 even requires that you rotate the cam as you go, to get the lobes past rods that get in the way. :eek1:

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

There are only 2 cam lobes that interfere with a rod. If you use a 400 rod and a 350 piston you don't have any problems but when you use a 350 rod and a special piston or an aftermarket 6" rod and a special piston there you have to clearance the rods in those 2 cylinders to clear the cam but people clearance all the rods to keep the weights the same on all rods. Also just a reminder that a 6" rod in a 383 puts the wrist pin into the oil ring and you must use a pin to keep the oil ring from rotating.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

very good point, if you were suppossed to get 5.7 rods did you get the pistons that go with the 6" rods and as well?