Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who has built there own trailer?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by 5trucks, Apr 22, 2007.

1. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

I was tossing around the idea of making my own trailer but if i cant build it for less then i will just buy. I'm guessing the average car hauler is around 2k. Those that have built their own, was it more or less the same price? What materials did you use?

2. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

If you don't already have the parts, you can pretty much buy one complete for what you will spend to build one. On top of that it's allot of labor and if the alignment of the axles isn't perfect it will not pull correctly.

I was kicking around the same idea before buying mine. I already had a partial frame, just needed the brakes, decking frame and decking. Spent an extra 400 and bought a much better trailer with more options than mine would have had and all I had to do was go pick it up.

3. 5trucks

5trucks 1/2 ton status

Thanks. Kinda what i expected.

4. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

We built our gooseneck and a tandem flat bed, and built them cheaper than what you could buy one for.

5. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

before you build anything look into what it will take to get it titled and registered in your state. It used to be easy here in PA but they changed the laws last year and the paperwork alone will shy you away from building one.

I have a camper frame that would make a great car hauler that only needs a deck, wiring and lights, but getting it legal is a nightmare since I do not have the title.

6. bbck5on37s

bbck5on37s 1/2 ton status

The only thing you have to do is go down to the local DMV and apply for a Home made trailer title. You will have to tell them where you got the matirials and how much money you have in it. I always say that i had most of the steel laying around and i bought the axles really cheap. I have done this many times and am going to do it again this week as soon as i finish the one i am building. Here is a link to the build.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207428

7. 87 Blue Beast

87 Blue Beast 1/2 ton status

your best bet would be to find an old camper frame or something and go from there.

8. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

its not that easy in every state. in PA you have to produce receipts for everything. they want to make sure you paid tax on everything.:mad:

9. Big91RustyBucket

Big91RustyBucket 1/2 ton status

Shoot I have had 4 Trailer's all with home built title's. Most were free or cheap , or the person had no title. I didn't have to produce anything to prove anything. Only thing was if I wanted a plate over 5k I had to take it to safety lane. It was cheap , and easy really.

10. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

down the road im looking into using a deuce and half frame, parting the truck and using the funds to pay for the rest of the trailer, from what ive seen they are flat and tough

11. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

the last 2 trailers i did in nj was simple i just said it was home made and the cost i told them 225 for the axels and 50 for the changes and cup and the higher then the norm ?? i said ziped it threw i bet

and to sell it i just have to give the new person the regerstion but out side on nj could be a mess

12. slyguy_22

slyguy_22 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hum i wonder if i build the trailer here then get you to register it in nj then you give it to me and i title it in pa? aw screw it ill just buy a heavy duty car trailer and modify it how i see fit.

13. crossy

crossy 1/2 ton status

CHAS, I haven't looked into yet here in NJ and i need to because i have been building some truck bed trailers. I can't imagine Jersey being easy on anything, but if i can help you out from over here I will. We're close to each other.
    Sorry for the thread jack.
    everyone is right. see what it take first. i can tell you that if you are just looking at a 7000# car hauler it's easier to shop around and plunk down the Initial money and then customize it to your neds. i dont know about AZ. but i know they are building in Ga.,Tx , AL, and such WAY cheaper than they are up around me. i guess its that cheap labor???:eek1::dunno::ears:

14. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

cheap trailers even around here are just that, cheap. I have seen new trailers that were very poorly put together. Poor as in partial welds, welds that do not fully penetrate the steel, and are just painted over, missing or broken bracing under the deck, or just having 1 or 2 crossmembers throughout the entire length of the trailer deck. A buddy of mine bought a cheapy thinking he was getting away like a bandit, he ended up taking the entire thing apart, stripping, and rewelding everything. Every once in a while you can run accross a good deal on a used trailer here since we dont have a huge rust factor.

Remington

15. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I have built a few small utility trailers before and I ended up saving just a few bucks over buying new, so it was worth the experience. When it came to building my car trailer I priced out all the parts and steel and it was going to cost me just under $3000. I then went shopping at my local trailer shops and I found one that built all his own trailers, not just brought them in from down south builders like all the other dealers in the area. He showed me his normal car hauler that he builds and the quality was very good. He ended up building me a custom trailer that was exactly to my specs for just under $2600 with tax. After talking with him for a while it all boiled down to the fact that since he was purchasing such large quantities of steel he was getting it for half what I was paying. I would have loved to built my own for the pure satisfaction of it, but when it came down to $$$ signs it just made no sense.