Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who has completely rewired their rig?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by COCHEV, Dec 22, 2002.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i need to do all the under dash stuff for sure and might just do the engine compartment as well. was thinking Painless all the way. anyone?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I was thinking of doing this next summer but was going to go with all aftermarket guages.

3. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

What year do you have? You have a computer? I'm going to strip out all my wiring in hte next week or two and rewire it with a painless kit. I've rewired a 1969 chevy with their kit and it's pretty easy. The only part that sucks it routing all the wires. Is there anything you need to know exactly?

4. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

looking for just general comments and how if people where happy with the Painless set up. i've heard nothing but good about them.

yes, on the computer. tbi.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've rewired my truck, but only with factory harness's. Not sure I'd want to build the harness even with a painless wiring kit...

Rene

6. Klink K5

Klink K5 1/2 ton status

I have rewired two blazers with factory wiring harnesses. It isn't that hard but its best if you have the donor vechile there when you do it or you could be looking at a nightmare. I had a 85 jimmy that I put in the COMPLETE wiring out of a 1987 K5 with F.I. Also had to swap out the complete fuel system (i.e. tank, hard lines and all the wiring) This work is not hard, just takes time! Good Luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I re-wired my 80 completely with the painless kit. It was fairly easy though as the whole truck was disassembled. Looking at your profile, it looks as you are carbureted, and it should be a fairly easy job (relatively speaking). I would assume you have manual windows and locks, and with the kit, if you ever decide to change you are one step ahead (same with A/C and cruise).
    *note*
    The kit is not totally plug and play. Due to different style wiper switches (dash vs. column), dimmer switches (dash vs. column), wiper motors (integrated pump vs. remote pump), quad vs. single headlamps, etc. you do have to do some stripping and crimping, but it's straight forward as it used the GM color code. For those that have ESC, interior lights, dual fuel tanks (as I did), etc. you will have to reuse or remake some of the odds and ends of your existing harness.

I would have to say the hardest part of this, is wiring the underdash section (unless everything is previously removed). It is not a tough job, but to be done right, it will take several days. It can be done in less time, but I don't recommend planning on it.
    If you go this route, do yourself a huge favor and buy a quality wire stripper/crimper.

8. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I would have to say the hardest part of this, is wiring the underdash section

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the part i'm dreading. glad to hear everything is color matched to gm codes and all. thanks for the input,

jason