Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has converted their second gen to A/C?!?!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5MONSTERCHEV, Mar 26, 2005.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I have a 78 2wd stepside. I have been thinking about putting A/C in it for a while. A recent trip of getting 17 MPG (thats not even after a tune up) makes me want to drive it more, I want to go take it on trips to different places to ride dirtbikes, but its not too fun in the summer, not for long amounts anyway. So my question is who converted their Non-A/C rig to A/C? How did you do it? Go with stock componets or an aftermarket setup, like from Vintage Air. They make it really nice and easy for around $1k. Thanks Again everyone.

2. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

im interested in this too... i have a 79k5

3. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

i have a good working AC compressor and all the hoses. i can pullt ou my ac stuff if youd like it. im selling my truck so if youd like it lemme know.:grin:

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

YOU COULD JUST GET ONE OF THOUSE UNDER DASH MOUNTED ONES

little box with coils and a fan and then you run a compressor and your done.

my old boss pulled a few from his pontiacs, fairlt common

5. Big Red

Big Red 1/2 ton status

thats true. i heard the Vintage air stuff was good.

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

From what I remember thts how the vintage air system goes, under dash, unless that was another kind I was lookign at. edit: nevermind, their kit does exit out the stock locations. HMMM......then whos went under the dash?!?

7. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I have the A/C compressor and other stuff I just pulled out of my 76.

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

9. stevenb8

stevenb8 Registered Member

I have installed alot of vintage air setups. I restore and build musclecars and classics for a living and do this often.

The vintage air is a great setup and I have never had any issues with the 50 or so I have installed. I used to pull the original ac components off classics and replace them with vintage air kit. The kits are designed very well and blow very cold. Our systems are designed for r12 which is way overpriced, then if you convert them to r134 with a over the shelf type setup they never work correctly.

The best kit from vintage air is the gen2 supercooler, 4 dash vents outlets, 2 defrost outlets (which we need ), and your choice of controllers. This lets you take the ugly boxes off the firewall, remove the inside box from under the dash also. Everything is located in the vintage air unit.

I will be buying one for my truck very soon, If we can get enough people together I can get us a goup purchase.

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I just yanked the evaporator box and fan out of my "new" 78 tub and gave it away to a local friend to play with .

It sat right above the factory heater box and blew out the middle of the dash . Looks like it had to be used with a hole cut in the dashpad . Only worked as a recirculating system or with the kickpanel vent open it could draw outside air . Very tight fit :k5: :k5:

11. camperspecial

camperspecial Newbie

http://ackits.com/

This website has lots of info on A/C kits and retrofitting your R-12 system to
    134A. They sell kits for about anything. Check it out :grin:

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

Thanks! Thier kits seem to be pretty nice, complete and great quality. Group purchace sounds good sometime in the future, anyone else intrested?

The ackits.com looks ok too, complete and about the same price, but im leaning towards the vintage air set up.