Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has DirectTV? I'm thinking about getting it and want input!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Cmoe, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Who has DirectTV? I\'m thinking about getting it and want input!

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gifWhat do you have? How long have you had it? Are you going to keep it? Any other info? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Re: Who has DirectTV? I\'m thinking about getting it and want input!

I had Dirctv for almost three years.. When I asked them when they where going to get the Outdoor channel.. They just said we have no plans on getting it.. So I have had Dishnetwork for about a year now.. But I guess Directv is going to be getting The outdoor channel now..

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I had it for 6 months, I'm back on digital cable becouse I had too meny problems with the Direct TV. Loose signal in middle of movies,...ect. I'm much happier with the cable.

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I never loose the signal.. They both worked great.. I live out in the country.. So no chance of cable..

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i have had it for about 2 year....canceled it a few months ago because i got cable free with my brodband connection...well at&t pissed me off so told em to go to he!! and they took my cable away and hooked right back up to direct TV...and i have had no problems with it

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Its expensive... We have most of the channels (minus pay per view and the sports stuff) and its close to $90 a month!

7. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've had it about 7 yrs...live in the country with no cable available...I put in the dual receiver type, but didn't hook up the second receiver until about a year ago...I had always had "freeze" during storms, etc, but after going with the dual receivers, I have experience a "pop" and loss of signal at various times for no discernable reason...takes a couple minutes to reacquire the signal...somestimes I have to unplug the receiver to reset it....I get most of the channels for about $80....the high speed internet they advertise is $700 installed, and about $50 mo...neighbor has it, and says he gets about 28k upstream and about 400k downstream along with the "freezes" and loss....he's on a 2yr contract and wants out....when it does work (which is most of the time) the sound and picture are great....

8. JROSS

JROSS 1/2 ton status

I've had it for 5 years. I live in the snow country but have never had freeze problems, I mounted it under an eve. I never have signal problems and my bill averages about $40 a month and that is for the basic package, all the networks, and about 2-3 PPV a month. I live where there is no cable now, but when I did have access to digital cable there really wasn't that much of a difference. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I got it never had a problem with it cutting out get half dozen HBO's all the Starz and Encore channels and the network channels plus all the channels you would normaly get and pay around $45 per month

10. JohnSPledg

JohnSPledg 1/2 ton status

I've had directv since 96. Every once in a while I will lose the signal, but that is only in extreme cloud cover. I never lost the signal during Tropicla Storm Isidore or Hurricane Lili this year. I am in Baton Rouge, La and we caught a lot of rain from both storms.

11. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

I've had it for a couple months and love it. Hardest part is remembering all the dang channels! I like the rally racing on speed channel and the Discovery/Wings channel for the aviation stuff. If yer into NASCAR, go for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I have had it for a few years, and I like it. Cost for comparable programming is basically a wash with cable unless you want to argue about a buck or two. The only time I will ever lose a signal is during really hard rain storms, and that never last more than a couple minutes. You can make any changes you want to your programming choices at any time day or night, and they are activated instantly. You can order pay per view with your remote. You get true interactive menu driven program guides that usually let you scan the guide with a program still running PIP, depending on your choice of receiver. And last and best of all, the picture and sound quality is way, way better than most cable systems can provide. The only drawback used to be the lack of local network channels, but unless you are in a very small market, they have your local channels available now. You do need a dual satellite (oval shaped) dish to get the local channels in a lot of markets, so understand what you need before you buy any hardware.

13. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Anyone have extra DirecTV receiver and HU card they want to get rid of?