Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has ditched the rear seat?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Glock Girl, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Glock Girl

Glock Girl Registered Member

I really dont use mine so I was thinking about pulling it out (keeping it though if I need it someday) Anyone ever put side jump seats out of a mini xcab pickup (ranger). The biggest concern I have right now is the rear seat sure does a good job of keeping all the crap in the rear area should I be in a front end collision. Sure I could bolt everything down but that is a pain to pull out if I need the bedspace. This is mainly a concern with daily driving as I empty out the truck for wheeling. I'm not really intrested in goofy cargo barriers. Any Thoughts?

Shelby
    88 K5

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I have a friend that pulled out his rear seat. He just put the bolts back into the floor and didn't install any other seats.

When he goes hunting he uses a cargo net from a pickup truck to keep his stuff from floating around the back. IIRC, he installed 6 or 8 hooks in different locations in the back so he could position the net according to his load. It might be something to consider.........

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't think you'll find much in the way of structural support for any other type of seats in the rear of the K5. Anything can be made to work, this I know, but putting any other types of seats in *correctly* would be costly and time consuming.

Instead, I built a 4x8 trailer, as I'm getting sick of not even being able to put 5 foot pieces of steel or wood straight in. Keeps the interior nicer too : )

Even with the seat out, I don't believe there is much more than 6ft of front to rear space.

When I moved across country a few years back, I unbolted the seat and slid it forward in the folded position, which gave me some more cargo room.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

4. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    <font color=blue>Took out my rear seat, bolted on some wooden 6 by 6 skids, and made it a couch in the garage for folks to sit on while visiting and drinking brews.
    </font color=blue><font color=green>
    Just put the stock bolts back in the holes, to keep water and dirt out, then used the seat belts to anchor my toolkit, emergency kit, and a box for grocery runs (to keep the milk and eggs from getting destroyed while driving the dirt roads home).........................
    </font color=green><font color=red>
    And I can always remove the wooden skids and bolt the seat in when family visits and I have to make airport runs. My K5 is the daily driver, grocery getter, family mover, and all-around good-for-everything truck.......................
    </font color=red>

<font color=blue>I don't know everything, I just think I do.............</font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. barbastard

barbastard 1/2 ton status

I've taken my seat out as well. It now resides in my recreation room next to my pool table!!! Sometimes those seat belts are needed when my friends come over and drink to much.

However, I did take a "jobox" or "knack" steel chest and bolted on 2 small pieces of "c" channel to the bottom of it. Then drilled holes in the channel and used the stock holes in the floor bed that the backseat was bolted down to secure the box to the floor. It works great!! Two bolts hold it down, and it only takes 2 minutes to unbolt it and remove it. Plus it carries all kinds of spare parts, tools, etc.

'77 blazer, 36'' super swampers, 4'' lift, some body damage and more to come, powered by Jack Daniels and Coors Light.[​IMG]

6. Jonathan

Jonathan 1/2 ton status

I'm intrested in the mini-pickup jump seat idea. Has anyone done this or seen it done?

77 Blazer, 350, NP203, K&N, 31-inch Cooper Discoverers
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jonathandwill>http://community.webshots.com/user/jonathandwill</a>