Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has done a fuel cell?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DaveCowley, Jan 12, 2003.

1. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

Last night I burned up my fuel pump and when trying to change it today ruined the sending unit. I am looking into doing a fuel cell behind the front seat. Has anyone done this. I know that I need Lines, Fuel Cell, and Pump with variable pressure or a regulator. I have found prices on everything but the pump. Also how hard would it be to run my lines? I probably would not run a gauge because mine hasn't worked for a year and I don't really miss it. Is it dangerous to have the cell in the passenger compartment in any way? Since I know it matters I am running a TBI350 so the pump I would need would be 40-50 PSI. Does anyone know what kind of price I would be looking at for this.

Thanks in advance /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Dave Cowley

2. FULLSIZE

FULLSIZE Registered Member

i've run a fuel cell in my old jeep, but i wouldn't run it in a sealed up passenger compartment. it could be done if vented correctly, but what about sinking it through the floor enough to keep it up even with the bottom of the framerails, where the stock tank was(rear mount), then build a sealed cover over it? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

3. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

A couple guys had them this fall at Paragon- for the UCP On The Rocks Charity ride- I know Josh had one, and i think Mike did as well- they were in the "bed' of their K5's..I can't remember what their user names were on here...do a search for UCP and you'll find the page where we posted the pics etc.... or maybe PM Wayne- he organized it, sure he knows the user names

Brandy

4. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

I really like that idea but I want to get it out in front of the rear axle for weight considerations but I may consider sinking it into the floor and sealing it off from the inside. I really like that idea.

Dave Cowley

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Well the '72 K20 I had had the fuel tank in the cab. Asong as the rubber lines were ok I didn't have any problems with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. smp

smp 1/2 ton status

I run one in my blazer i just cut a hole in the floor and welded some 1\4" plate across the frame and droped it in. It works great i don't hit it anymore i just don't like all the room it takes up.
    [​IMG]

7. blueturd

blueturd Registered Member

I recently put one in mine, on the pass side rear. I was pretty wierd about having it in the cab with me, so I am planning on building a box with a lockable flap to fill it.

To vent it I just jammed a section of 3/8 hose to it and reconnected it to the factory charcoal can. The fuel line for mine cost like $6 a foot (steel braided) so I used it sparingly.

Let us know how it works for you! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif