Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has done a full hard top conversion on a newer K5?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bone85K5, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Just curious..I know there is some info on this somewhere...and yes I am thinking the stock 90K5 is a prime target.

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

If I remember corrrectly MoneyPit did it and so did a few others. I've got all the parts for my conversion, just need to install a full cage before I chop the top. What info do you need?

3. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Really was looking for a page that shows step by step. (i know...find top, cut, install)

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Whitewhomper just cut the top off of his the other day (1987), I showed up for the last two cuts, just took the sawzall to it, then take it down to install a cage, they told him the cage would be cheaper if the top was cut before hand. I want to see how his works out before I do mine /forums/images/icons/smile.gif although I have a 75 windshield frame that I might graft in with a piece of 1" stock to make the windshield frame stronger.

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

I would hightly recommend installing a cage in at least the cab before starting just so the body doesn't sag and the doors and top line up after you chop the cab off. Preperation is the key point. It would help if you had access to a full convert just to see where to cut to doors. Find all the parts you need before you start. This would include the top (preferably a top that has overlapping seams on the outside because these are the strongest. I think these were only made for the 75s). You need the upper and lower door caps, bed rail weatherstripping, door weatherstripping, and the inner and outer windshield weatherstripping. All of the weatherstripping new will run about $450.
    After the cage is installed, cut the cab off in the rear a few inches above the bed rail. Chop the windshield posts midway and remove the cab. Now you can cut the rest of the cab posts flush with the bed rails and weld in patches to fill in the holes. When you mount the 73-75 windshield frame in place weld in a foot long piece of square stock inside the posts for strength, as mentioned by our fearless leader. The doors will require some attention so you have to look at the top to figure out where to cut the rear part of the door. Again, remove a majority of the frame and go back later to make the final cuts. The upper part of the door frame is a compound angle and again you need to look at the top to figure out the angle to cut at (this is where having a full convert to model from would come in handy). After the doors are cut you need to weld in a small attachment inside the lower part of the door (near the door handle) so you can attach the lower door cap. Bolt the top on (or leave it off like it's meant to be /forums/images/icons/smile.gif ) and you're ready to go.
    Now there is debate over the side windows as to weather or not sliders will replace the solid windows in the full top. In keeping with my theory of GM being thrifty and liking to reuse parts I believe that the solid windows are the for full converts and half tops ... therefore I think the sliders will fit. I've taken measurements of both and the measure the same, but I won't be 100% sure until I try it myself. Good luck ... and happy chopping /forums/images/icons/smile.gif