Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has done box tubing under rockers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Mar 11, 2002.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Who has put steel box tubing under their rockers for body re-enforcement? What dimensions did you use? Any pics? Do they double as rock sliders? Any advise on doing this mod? I'm getting ready to do full convert I think. Thanks!

2. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

sounds like a good idea!
    steve cant do it tho..... he doesnt have rockers! lol but his is phat!

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have, Depdog has (he has a write up at http://www.off-road.com/chevy project rock ready ), BigJBear is doing it, Keith has, Steve is in the process or has just finished and will be doing a write up. Few others have done it also.
    I used 4x4. Most otheres are using 3x2. Dep and a few others have also welded side bars on and I'll be doing the same as soon as I get my new wheels on so I can figure the width. Steel is already sitting in the garage.

4. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I'm lookin to start this project soon too. You guys using 3/16" or 1/4"? Steve Fox (UAV) has posted a pic of his truck and what the frame mounted sliders did to his body when smacked really good. They put a buckle in the right side just in front of the rear fender. He suggests only mounting to the body rails, and cab supports. If you do a search on this topic you should find a thread that I started and got a good response to.

5. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

I did mine out of 3x4 3/16" wall tubing. Boss also did this but used smaller tubing; 3x3 I think. Only reason I used 3/16" tube was that was all that was available in that size. Otherwise; 1/8" would be plenty thick. Mine are welded solid to the body from firewall to rear wheelwell opening. They're also a part of the new subframe system in my front floor area. I cut my entire front floors out & made my own subframing to attach the new 16ga floors to.

I have a few pics but have yet to scan them. Soon as I get them scanned; I'll get them up.

BTW; I didn't have mine extend out like Dep & them did cause my rig will have nerfs that lower down, hinging on the frame to double as steps.

Good Luck

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Yes, and I use 3x3" 1/8" thick....plenty thick is right. 1 1/4x1 1/4-1/8" thick for the steps.
    Boss