Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who has done drum to disk conversion???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RESTORE89, Mar 28, 2001.

1. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

a few days back somebody ?? prop valve setting for a disc conversion, i want to know what this convert costs, and how difficult, and what about parking brake lines
    thanks
    chris
    ps is it worth the money for the added braking performance?
    if you had it to do over would you do it or spend the money on a new ---

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by RESTORE89 on 03/28/01 05:32 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I'd like info on this too like Restore89 (I'm not trying to steal your post! But this is info I want too!)...from what I have seen it looks expensive? What are the major factors to look for in doing this and things to know before one dives in head first? Thanks!

"I love the sound rice burners make when ya run over them"

3. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

I did the TSM conversion on my 89 rear 10 bolt. It was probably supposed to be easier than when I did it. I got the calipers from a yard, and the mounting brackets from the TSM kit. The mounting brackets had to be grinded a little in order to get them on straight. This was a trial and error type phase of mounting the brakes and regrinding to get them on there and trued up, but after about a whole day and half, it worked out, and I haven't had any associate problems, and it is running good. I also rebuilt the calipers before installing, and the one thing to watch out for is how to remove the piston and when you tightin up the e'brake that once the piston is out too far, she ain't being pressed in like newer ones, so remember that and play with the old caliper before rebuilding and wasten a seal on the piston after rebuilding. All in all it cost me about 350, and the crap of it was, I ended up chucking the rear end for a 14 bolt, so make sure that the 10 bolt is what you want. Hope that helped.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

What are you wanting to convert? 10, 12, or 14 bolt?
    I did not use the proportioning valve.
    This is what it cost me to convert my 14 bolt:
    $299.95 14 bolt rear disc brake kit.
    50.00 8" Stainless Brake Hose from TSM
    50.00 Used Caddy Brake calipers from salvage (Frozen up)
    125.98 Rebuilt Caddy calipers from Oreillys
    12.00 New Brake Pads
    ------
    537.93 Plus spent some time at the salvage trying to remove the used calipers. I did end up using the emergency brake lever and springs from the salvage calipers.

[​IMG]

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I put disc brakes on my 14-bolt FF. I used the brackets from TSM and also had to grind them a bit to get the calipers to fit into them. I was not too impressed with their quality control.

I don't think I'd bother with swapping to discs in the back again. They rate way up there on the coolness factor, but the rear brakes don't do a whole lot of the work anyway. Might as well leave the drums on there and just put new brake shoes on the back every 80,000 miles or so. Saves you a bunch of money and you don't have to jack around finding all the little bits and pieces needed to complete the conversion.

The one good thing about the conversion on a 14-bolt FF is that it takes about 75 lbs. off the weight of the rear axle. Not that it really matters much on a 5500 lb. vehicle! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I'm currently about to begin the process. I already have rebuilt Caddy Bendix calipers and new Raybestos semi-metallic pads from Carparts.com. Just waiting for the TSM kit I just ordered precisely today. I went a bit further. I bought a new master cylinder and front rebuild kits and pads.

I don't have the brake brackets for the Caddy calipers, but hopefully Mudzer will find me some or I will fabricate a pair.

Something to watch out when going with a TSM kit is which calipers to buy. 10 bolts and 12 bolts use what they call "small GM calipers", 14 bolt ff use "large GM calipers". Large GM calipers are 76-78 El Dorado Calipers. Small GM Calipers are 79-85 calipers. I was lucky because I got the calipers before finding this out, so I could have gotten the wrong ones.

Regarding the proportioning valve, I'm going to try first without one (just the stock one). If I don't like th brakeing, I'll install one.

<font color=blue>//////
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://blazer79.coloradok5.com>http://blazer79.coloradok5.com</A>
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

7. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

thanks harry3
    i was thinking about the project, and was having a hard time justifying the work for the out come
    i have a gm 10 bolt, that i plan on keeping, esp after just regearing

8. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

Quick question. Camaros and Trans Ams came with factory rear disks and I believe 10 bolts. Any way to steal this set-up and make it work? Just always been curious about this swap.

9. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I've heard once or twice about using the Camaro master cylinder, does anyone know the years or part #?</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

10. misfit

misfit 1/2 ton status

im almost done with the brackets im making, need to test fit a little this weekend then they should be ready to go. they fit the caddy calipers. ill be asking 50$ or so a pair

11. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

On a half ton truck I would use the master cylinder from a 76-78 caddy. You should also use the proportioning valve from the same vehicle. Rear disk brakes don't need the residual pressure to keep the brakes close to the rotor like drum brakes need to be kept close to the drum.

12. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

i recently converted to rear discs. i went the economical route, i used front disc parts.

backing plates: $30, including fabrication
    rotors, loaded calipers, lines: $120
    redrilling axles to accept front studs: $35
    1 ton master: $25
    TOTAL - $210

the backing plates and cores i pulled from the local boneyard. the tech info i got from doing a search on this site.
    no parking brake, but you can install a manual line loc from jcwhitney for $25.
    good luck,
    MTPockets.
    ps. the coolest thing about disc conversion on the c-clip equipped k5's is, if you break an axle the caliper will keep it from backing out!

13. HarryH3

I'm using a master cylinder from a 1980 Trans Am with 4-wheel disc brakes. The only real difference I can see is that both fluid resevoirs are the same size. On the stock m/c the resevoir for the rear brakes is smaller since drum brakes don't require as much fluid volume to operate.

I looked at the proportioning valve on a '78 or so Caddy in the junkyard but it had too many lines coming out of it. [​IMG] Looked like they ran a separate line to each wheel.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

14. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

The internals are different for disk/disk than disk/drum. They need different pressures and fluid flow. The factory unit should also work depending on tire size, weight balance etc.
    I have the Proportioning valve from the caddy on my blazer. It was a direct bolt on. It also gets rid of the pesky risidual pressure spring for the rear brakes. I do use a 1.25 bore master from a 1 ton truck though. D60 front and 14FF with disks in the rear.

15. HarryH3

What year is your Caddy proportioning valve from? The one I looked at didn't look anything like the one on a K5.

16. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

It fits a 76-78 El Dorado. This car has the large rear disk brakes. This allowed me to use the 12" (I Think) rotors from the front of a 3/4 ton Ford. The valve looks a little different on the outside but it has the same size fittings in the same locations and bolt pattern as the K5.