Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has dual exhuast and turndowns?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Sep 18, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I just have ONE question... does exhuast get in the cab via the back window with turndowns?! I am contemplating getting them. Thanks!

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

yes

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I have duals that turndown right in front of the rear axle and I cant run with the back window open b/c the exhaust will come back in.

4. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Okay I don't know what you mean by turn downs,

But I have duals, and they exit behind the rear tires, at a 90' angle from the truck.

I did have A LOT of back flow with exhaust into the rear, but then I opened up my front vents, down under the dash, and tada gone. ( I think I have said this before....)

Brandy

5. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

what hes sayin is like pipes that are like a foot from the muffler or so and are cut to where it faces lookin down so to speak. i'm pretty sure thats what hes talkin bout. later.

jacob

6. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

doesn't matter what i've tried, i still get ehaust in the cab!

deck

7. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I recommend running the exhaust out from under the truck. I had a pickup that rusted out the floor of the bed and the crossmembers right above the turndowns while the rest of the floor was still good. I think there are a lot corrosive fumes in the exhaust.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What about running the exhuast strait out back under the rear bumper ??? Will I get exhaust inside the Blazer if I did that ??? Just don't like the look of the factory exhaust locations. Want to make it liik and sound meaner.

9. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Running straight out the back you get HELLA exhuast in the cab... right now i have them at a 45 degree sticking out on each corner of the bumper and dont get it at all with my window up andonly a bit with the window down. Im happy with ti except that the tips wiggle and vibrate a little

10. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

lol. at least yer exhaust doensn't fall off like mine. lol. picky picky. lol. gawd i need money to make the blazer run. lol. later.

jacob

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay, next choice is too dump it out the sides infront of the rear tires. Pipes would stick out past body a few inches, Meg's tips for looks and sound. Would that work or still get fumes in cab ????

12. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

I'm ready for my headers this weekend....now you guys have me wondering where to dump them....sounds like out the back on 45's has the vote so far.............

13. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I have a truck, so the fumes-inside-the-cab-thing doesn't apply to me as much. If I had a K5, I would also run them out the corners at the rear at a 45* angle. I really don't like giant chrome tips coming out the back. Plus I've seen a lot of crushed tips from when they get mashed between the bottom of the bumper and the ground. My exhaust consists of headers, 2.5" piping, and fire extinguisher cans with turn downs directly off the cans. They turn down just in front of the rear axle.

Will

14. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Mine dump out under the body and I have no turndowns. I run w/ all the windows down, always have. IMO I have minimal fumes in the cab w/ me. BUT I have 9in. total lift (for the moment) and 38s, so I have a bunch of room under my rig for the exhaust to go to.

In fact, a guy rode in my rig a few weeks ago when we went trail riding and after riding in mine all day he is having his redone because he cant run w/ the window open.

The exahust on my prev. rig was routed to dump out in front of the rear wheels at a 45* angle. I had no fumes in the cab on that one either. BUT the fumes hitting the tire and rolling around onto the rear wheels dulled out my polished alum wheels pretty fast.

15. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I have em.
    One other 'problem' with turn downs is on a dusty/dry trail your rig will blow up twice as much dust and if your riding with a pack of wheelers they will make you go to the back of the caravan because of all the dust belowing out from under!!! Also if/when you stop all that dust covers you /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    My next exahust will have something different......

16. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status