Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has Ebay seller accounts?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 88K5Jimmy, Nov 3, 2004.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I want to set up an Ebay seller account but am worried about providing my checking account information. Have any of you guys had problems after giving out this information?

Thanks

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I ave a seller's account. I set up a new checking account specifically for it, and haven't had a problem with it.

I would recommend isolating your "life" account from the ebay account, just in case by some freak occurrence, ebay is in some way cracked and your account left vulnerable.

You can start a new account with $5...then just keep depositing ebay money.

3. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

I would not give anyone your bank account information. Use your credit card. If your credit card account is breached, you will only have to pay a small amount. I believe it = about $50.00.
    On the other hand, your bank account could be drained and be imposable to recover your money.

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would not give anyone your bank account information. Use your credit card. If your credit card account is breached, you will only have to pay a small amount. I believe it = about $50.00.
    On the other hand, your bank account could be drained and be imposable to recover your money.

/forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if you read your account policies, many credit card issuers won't hold you responsible for ANY fraudulent charges. At many banks (like the one I work for) this is also true of fraudulent charges to your checking account as well.

Your best bet is to walk down to your local branch and talk to somebody there, request the bank Manager if he/she is available. They can tell you what to look out for and what would be the best way for you to go.

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have been on ebay for 3 years and have not had any problems.

6. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have been selling for about 5 years with no problems at all.

I do as newyorkin does and I have a seperate bank account just for ebay. It is also the same account that I use to receive my paypal payments. I don't leave the money in paypal very long then I transfer it to my bank account and then withdraw. The bank account is free and I never have more than $20 in it, except for after a payment is received, but it is withdrawn right away. When I pay with paypal I can go to the bank and deposit how ever much I need to and then go home and pay for items that I have won. I also have a seperate email addy that I use just for ebay and paypal.

*Never give your account info to anyone through a link you receive in an email. If you need to change something in ebay or paypal you will be directed to go to the site, log in, and change the information. The other email with links to "update your account information" are fraudulent, and yes they will rip you off.*

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Just signed up a few days ago for mine. no problems yet /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Same here; I've had mine for about 3 years with no problems (at least no bank account related problems) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Ive had no problems.

10. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

You guys worry too much /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I have had zero problems and use my personal account and PayPal account all online, never have to go to a bank to withdraw or deposit anything. Also have a PayPal debit card, so I just leave that money in there most the time and try to "forget" I have it and use it for truck stuff or vacation /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Like Goober was saying, banks protect you for most things these days, money just isn't gonna dissappear without a trace.

11. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

My ID is PrecisionData, 1072 feedbacks.
    Attach your account that you make SOLELY for ebay, and then lock it down so they can't take any money out of that bank account electronically. (They can never tell)
    Then attach a credit card, where it's easier to get your money back in the event of fraud.
    My company got hit for about $3,000 once because we didn't have it set up this way.