Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has experience towing heavy loads with K5 vs. 92-99 Suburban??????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sax Art, Jan 22, 2001.

1. Sax Art

Sax Art Registered Member

I've got a 1991 Suburban (I know, I know, wrong list!) that I use to tow a 7200lb. boat/trailer. Does anybody here have experience towing a heavy load like this with both a K5 and a 92-99 Suburban? I'd like to know what the comparison is! I called Chevy and gave them my V.I.N. They were able to tell me the factory tow rating of my originaly equiped 'burb'. (It's basically stock now!) is 7500lbs, but I'm wondering if the suspension of the K5 is better or worse?!?!?!?

Tell me your thoughts!
    (I'll be posting this on the 'burb' list as well!)

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

First question is whether you Sub is a 3/4 ton............if so it will be of course better than a K5, plus the extra length of the Sub will be a benefit in stability.

I have occasionally towed loaded firewood trailers with mine with no problems - can't say it was 7200 lbs worth but a couple of cords of moist wood sure isn't light. No problems, but a lot of towing depends on your gearing. Large tires and 3.08 gearing is no way to tow............gotta have the 4.56's to pull the weight easier.

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

3. Sax Art

1/2 ton suburban.........stock suspension........350 engine

Stock tranny, springs, transfer case.........etc.

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I would guess that the suspension, in regards to towing, would be pretty much equal between the Sub and the K5. The Sub does have a pretty good advantage due to the increased length and weight which really helps for towing stability.

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

With all of the same running gear, Subs have always carried higher tow ratings than the equivalent Blazer, Jimmy, Tahoe, Yukon, etc. The same holds true for longer wheelbase pickups over shortboxes.

Why not ask what the towing capacity is of the other vehicles that you're interested in?

<font color=blue>"As of tomorrow, employees need security cards for building access. Pictures will be taken Wednesday and cards received in 2 weeks."</font color=blue>

6. militaryblazer

militaryblazer 1/2 ton status

The Military gave their blazers a tow rating of 10,000 LBS I believe. With a 6.2 and 3:08 gears. Mine has 33's on it so I am not sure how good it will pull but will be finding out pretty soon!

[​IMG]See more--&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/m1009_86>http://www.geocities.com/m1009_86</A>

7. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    I have towed many a 4000 pound + trailers with both of those vehicles. The suburban, because of its weight, breaks, and length seems to pull much better. When it comes to power it is all about what you have in your K5 versus what you have in your suburban. Also, with the right equipment either vehicle should do fine. For example trailer breaks, torsion bars at the hitch, and other stability products that go on the hitch all make a huge difference. I have seen what happens when trailers are too heavy for a vehicle. I saw a buddy of mines 4000 pound mobil home start swaying behind a vehicle once. The car was not heavy enough and instead of the dog wagging the tail, the tail wagged the dog. Needless to say the trailer and vehicles split and the trailer ended up upside down in a ditch. We pulled it back over with a blazer, and the blazer pulled it the rest of the 500 miles with no problems. I also have pulled a 5500 pound 3/4 ton dodge van on a 2000 pound trailer with a subrban at 60 mph+ with no special equipment. I could not stop worth S%*%, but other than that it was fine.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

8. windrider

windrider Registered Member

I towed a 30 foot travel trailer with my Jimmy. I used a equalizer hitch with an anti sway device. It worked ok. IIn windy conditions I would prefer a longer vehicle like a burb. This trailer weighed about 6500 lb, and did with 3.08 gears.

9. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

what about putting all the 3/4 ton sub stuff on a blazer then towing with it?

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

10. coopertwpk

what about putting all the 3/4 ton sub stuff on a blazer then towing with it?

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

11. Rayven90

Rayven90 Registered Member

I have a 90 that a pull a camp trailer with. The dry weight from the manufactuer is 5700lbs. I'd say it is close to 7000 with our junk loaded. It pulls decent, I can usually 55 or 60 OK

Ray

12. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I can give you my VIN number on my Blazer so you can call Chevy and ask them about it. my Blazer has a 350, 700R4, 3.42s, and towing pkg

1GNEV18K8LF145282

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

13. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

In years past I work at a boat yard! We used a 1ton 4wheel drive duellie with a 502 4 speed, a 1/2 ton 92 suburban 4 wheel drive with a 454 and an auto trany. And we used my Blazer (it'swhere I bought it from) The blazer worked fine and would could pull anything the other 2 could! But the blazer was a handfull when driving in the hwy with any thing over 6000lbs. The 1 ton worked fine pulling anything! We pulled everything up to 60 foot trailer with 14000 lbs boat on them. The nice thing to tow cross country with theough was the Suburban it was rated at 12000 lbs but we pulled about 18000 to FL once! The sub gave the nicest ride and had the best to drive. I hated to pull cross country with blazer it had the power but with the short 104 inch wheel base and 33 tires it was a full time handfull.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

14. Sax Art

Hey 90K5....."Call Chevy yourself!!"

Just kidding! Actually I don't even have the number anymore. Just call your local chevy dealer and ask them what the number is.

O.K. guys and gals...
    What I'm really looking for is someone who can compare my 1/2 ton 1991 suburban (K10?) to a 92'-99' suburban. I'm not interested in rated towing capacity, rather, "seat of the pants towing ability". I'm wondering if I should keep my '91, or if it's better to move up to something newer (as far as towing is concerned).

15. coopertwpk

the newer subs dont tow as well but do everything else better