Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has herculined their interior? What to do about bolt holes?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Jul 16, 2002.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Who has herculined their interior?
    If you have, what did you do about the bolt holes like where the seats bolt to and stuff? How did you make it so the bolts would still go in the holes? Thanks!

Dawson

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

More than one way to do it. Can oil the hole then put bolts in, then tape up the exposed part of the bolt.. Could probably even grease them, but I think that would be messier.

3. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I rolled up some masking tape and stuck it in the holes
    and rolled around them.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

gah, if you are gonna do the job, do it right. Remove all the "extra" bolts in your interior. I took out everything except the body mount bolts when I did my herculiner... thouroughly taped them. Pics are, as always, on my webshots! Any other herc questions, lemme know... I've used over 2 gallons of the stuff.. so far...

J

5. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

they sell bags of corks in all shapes and sizes. Just stick a cork in the holes.

6. BMR

BMR 1/2 ton status

Just rolled up little pieces of a shop towel and stuck them in the holes. Worked out fairly well, it was quick and simple.

7. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I didn't herculine the inerior, I POR'd mine.
    What I did at first was to put tape on the threads and start the bolt. But then I figured out that if I wasn't a hamfist with the paint brush, I could paint around the bolt hole and not get any inside. That's what I did.
    -- Mike

8. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

POR isn't good if it will be exposed to sunlight as it will breakdown from the UV rays.

I just used bolts in the bolt holes I wanted to use, after the Herculiner dried I removed the bolts and was done. Anything more would be overkill and not needed.

9. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I've used over three gallons so far. One on the inside and two on the outside.. I just taped over the holes..Then I used a small nail to find them again. Just tapped around tell it went threw...Dan

10. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I just put masking tape over the holes, just make sure to pull it off before the liner sets up. I just used a small scewdriver to pull the masking tape up while the stuff was still tacky.

11. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

real simple...the holes you want to keep put the bolts/screws in their holes, tape up the head, and go at it! wet or dry...just un-screw and you have a nice clean edge. holes you don't want to keep...tape over and forget. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif