Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has ideas on the width problem?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CK5, Aug 21, 2001.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I think we all know that K5's are WIDE and was wondering what other good ideas were out there for dealing with this issue. Theres the narrow it on the trail method, the S-10 body method, the remove the body method, and the exo cage method, just wondering if there are any new thoughts or ideas out there.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

2. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I've always kinda liked option A. Another beater-riffic idea is to ditch a lot of the outer skin on the body, several inches can be gained this way. I was kind of tempted to do this. The main drawbacks would be the top and doors, but the doors could be left on if you left the door jambs in place. You'd have to leave the bed rails if you wanted to be able to run a top, though. Best advice is to grab a 12er and the Sawzall and see what happens. :D

Pete

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

3. Other than shortening the axles, going with a less wide tire/wheel combo, and/or some major body work to take out the sheetmetal flares, I have to say you're pretty much stuck with what you have. Frame and suspension dictate width, but you know this. I guess you could get a Jeep! lol

God has a hard on for Marines, because we keep Heaven chock full of fresh souls!

4. Jeff427

Jeff427 1/2 ton status

I still think the way to do it would be to build a full cage narrower than the body (a lot narrower), then reattach the body skins to the cage, thus retaining the superior appearance of the K5 body, and eliminating the excessive width. This would also be a good time to replace the windsheild with lexan to reduce weight (and because it would be cheaper than having a narrowed windsheild made).

Jeff427
    <a target="_blank" href=http://muddog.off-road.ws>Mud Dog Off Road Club</a>

<a target="_blank" href=http://lyonsdesign.bizhosting.com>Lyons Design Web Site</a>

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Do the Pre runner deal and make the fenders pop off with dzus fasteners. Leave them at camp when you wheel along with the doors. Build the suports out of tube and tie into the roll cage.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

6. When you're coming down one of those steep a@# hills that has a billion trees on it, you point it towards the tightest two and mash the gas going right between the two!! Whallaaaa a narrower K5 !!! And you thought it would be difficult. Actually the only way to narrow a K5 is to drop sheet metal and then you're not gaining much. Mirrors and mounts, door handles. I saw a truck at Indy last year that had all fiberglass panels, the 1/4's, doors, fenders, hood, and they came right off with the little button clips that turn. That might be an option to go lighter with just the skins and then remove them when you're on the trails. If you bend up whats underneath you can always fix it and throw the skins back on. This is basically the way the do the CORR trucks. Go to a race and check them out.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>I Like my Burb'n on the ROCKS !!
    <font color=black>Imported to Kentucky through military channels !!

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hmmm...how about stretching a YJ tub and sticking it on the K5 chassis?[​IMG][​IMG]

Seriously I think there are only so many ways to take care of width while retaining a 'K5ish' look. Personally I'd rather accept the limitations of the Blazers width and enjoy the truck to the limits of its width. Thats just my personal take on the issue.

There are so many diferent thoughts on what makes the ultimate rig for hardcore...but every design (thats still recognizable as a production truck) has drawbacks and weaknesses. There are usually obstacles that are harder for any one particular design like short wheelbase rigs and rough steep step climbs for example.

I guess it really depends on what the priorities for your truck are. If all you want is the most extreme obstacle tamer on the planet I think a one off custom tube frame crawler is the hot ticket. If you feel an overwhelming need to conform, you need some sort of Jeep (no matter how wide as long as it says Jeep on it somewhere...[​IMG]) However I have been hard pressed to find another truck that can do as many things as easily and as well as a K5. That was my reason for wanting one in the first place...it will haul my family comfortably, tow my 5500 lb trailer easily, take a beating without breaking easily, as well as wheel some nasty trails. As a bonus I still have a good looking truck (soon, I promise! [​IMG]) thats street legal and reliable.

I can't fit my Jimmy through my front door...I can't drive it off a 50 foot cliff either, neither one of those things make me want to butch it up...

Sorry for the rant, I'm just a little tired of the K5 bashing I've seen lately.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

8. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Wider is better!!! Fortunately for people in my area most of the places to wheel have wide enough trails to run a fullsize.

<font color=blue>Wayne<font color=blue>
    <font color=blue>Happy Trails<font color=blue>

9. blackdog

blackdog Registered Member

<font color=black> I don't know how practical, eco-friendly, or even effective this would be, but your question put an image in my head of a blazer with a huge, pointy, flared locomotive style nose welded to it. Kind of like the old fashioned ones that were used to ram through snow drifts. Just hit the throttle and instantly the trail becomes wider.

Like I said, not very prctical, but would look pretty damn badass.

<font color=black> "Where did all these people come from, and how soon can they leave..."
    -OLD 97's</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.batcave.net>www.k5.batcave.net</a>

10. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

I just rub marine grade grease all down the sides and tip-toe on thru...LOL!!! It works!! Would I lie to YOU?!

"The mud is lovely, dark and deep, but I have U-joints to change before I sleep"

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Emmett has had some of the Mother Nature body narrowing process done.. I dont think I have a straight panel anymore.
    Jeeps and Sammi's are tempting, but I dont htink anything could replace a K5/Jimmy. I am not a big fan of body swaps onto different frame, looks too redneckish....
    When I first got my Jimmy i was worried about dents and scratches. Then after the first couple I said **** it and now I go where I want! (hence the missing drivers side mirror and the broke passenger side one)....

Just wheel what ya got and be happy! It will fit most anywhere! [​IMG]

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

12. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Now thats the best idea I've heard all day!!!

What is and what should never be....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

13. I agree with you on this one, I love the looks and would hate to chop it up. I would accept its limitations and deal with some body damage or get a street K5 and a trail K5. Hmmmmm what a thought !

14. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

most people with trail riggs carry extra gas so why not bring a little chainsaw along ;)

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer
    1982 Chevy C-10 Longbed

15. CK5

I,m not bashing the K5 (maybe against rocks and trees) just looking for ideas on keeping the K5 look and making it more earth friendly. [​IMG] I do like what Pete did to his rockers, got rid of alot of his nasty body damage, but kind of hard to get in and out of, Pete any close up pics yet?

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

16. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

As a follow up to what Rene said:
    First off; let me state emphatically: TO EACH HIS OWN! People shouldn't knock others for what they want to do to their rigs (&amp; I'm not) because it's not what someone else might do. With that said, I'd like to sincerely ask a question to the rock crawlers (this is not a bash [​IMG]). Why the Blazer??
    I've said it before that IMHO, the Blazer is by far the BEST looking production rig ever made! It's got V-8 power to boot, full-size body for interior room/cargo capacity, decent stock ground clearance/flex, good towing ability, &amp; as said before, good looks!
    With that said, if you need a highly dedicated rock crawler or specialized trail rig, why not build something that "fits" the bill? Scorpion &amp; MKII come to mind. Bash away all day, it's what their built for! [​IMG]

I just find it sad that there'll never be another Blazer produced &amp; the few that are around are getting chopped &amp; scrapped to try to build a full-size jeep. [​IMG][​IMG]

Brian
    89KBlazer

Build it Right or Don't build it at all!!

17. CK5

The few that are around? Umm, there everywhere, thats another plus for the Blazer. I just want to think outside the box a little and try to modify the design a little to make it even better than it already is. I like to see new things like Pete's extreme rocker panels, I have never seen any thing like that on a Blazer before and it looks cool and is functional.

Steve

Bandwidth FREE ZONE

18. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I second that opinion!

It's been lovely, but I have to scream now.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

19. That would not make for a earth friendly wheelin' trip ! The government would shut us down for sure if we started scalping the countryside to fit our rigs down trails.

20. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

First of all, you should never claim a Hacked up Blazer is a fullsize Jeep - What a disgrace. [​IMG] Secondly, "Why not Blazers"? I built my Blazer to wheel, not drive around on pavement. Now to stop all of you who will start bashing me about wheeling and not driving, I also drive mine to and from the trails. No trailer. We are constantly meeting the demands of the latest trends, this means, rockcrawling is our new entertainment. I like rock crawling, therefore I modify my truck to meet these conditions. I have owned my K5 for 6 years now and it has constantly been a piece of work, trying to meet the trends (and sometimes not). Sometimes its more of a POS than a piece of work. If I cave in my Brand new GM Bedsides, I shrug it off. I can buy new ones, no big deal.

A word on Jeeps. When I go wheeling, I constantly see Heeps rolling, flipping, flopping, breaking, getting stuck, flexing but going nowhere, and so on. If you want a Jeep, by all means, get yourself one! But, I think this site could do without those posts - My Blazer Sucks, Im buying a Heep. Do you seriously think Hardcore Blazer Owners care if you sell your truck for a "smaller rig"? Did your Dad get hassled by the neighbor when he traded the 1973 Lemans Safari Station Wagon for the Corolla? Go for it, just dont post it on a GM Based website - the Best GM Website on the Planet!

Steve has posed a simple question, to hack or not to hack. I say hack it if you want! Its very cool that Steve is not jumping ship like some around here do. Mine will someday be trimmed down as well. The one thing, I want to retain the K5 look. I dont have the time or money to narrow the body, so I'll just stick to trails where I can "fit" or I'll accept the damage! I like the idea Grim had, build a cage connected to the K5 frame. Weld tabs from the frame which would hold an easily obtainable piece of sheetmetal <font color=red>(when the part is damaged)</font color=red> - such as a bedside patch panel. You can move this inboard as much as you need. Same thing as the doors, rockers, fenders and such. You can move these in. Connect the rockers, fenders and patch panels with DZUS fastners. Fenders, rockers and patch panels can be bought cheaply and easily at body shop supply stores. I plan to find a K5 frame and start this project someday, so Ill keep you posted.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com>www.mudzer.rockcrawler.com</a></font color=blue>