Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who has installed there own 8-inch lift kit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 4x4k20, Mar 5, 2005.

1. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

i have one on the way for my 79k20. its a all spring lift . i am thinking it gona go on with no problems . but i have heard otherwise so someone speak up who has put an 8-inch lift under there truck .i have a dana 60 up front with a 14bolt rear

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

installing lift springs is all the same, only difference as how high you have to jack the truck up. Springs aren't always fun. Bolts hate to leave the sleeves when it comes time to remove them. I suggest lots of wd40 or liquid wrench on the bolts and nuts.

3. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

i have helped on one... all i suggest is a lot of floor jacks and jack stands... if you have access to a hoist (like myself) all you need is 1, maybe 2 jacks, and a couple stands...

buy lots of white lightning grease in the spray can... it helps sooo much... hope you have a tcase drop and shims for the rear and front... and breaklines or breakline relocators... umm sway bar drop brackets are good to have too. thats all i can think of right now... remember to post pics before and after!!!

what size tire you gonna run?

4. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

only use wd40 on parts you wont be reusing... wd40 has a main ingrediant called water that actually does not stop rust, it will loosen a rusty bolt thoug... use white lightning grease on new parts... its much better

5. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

hey i am trying to find out what kind of problems i am gona have as far as driveshafts lenghting and angle and so fourth i aint worried about how to go about it swapping them out i need to know whats all involved :confused: i have the tools and know how :)

6. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

It'll go on just the same as any other spring lift, only difference will be in the driveshafts. I suggest you start early with soem PB blaster to make the bolts a lil easier, even brake lines. Yeh, you'kk hafta lenghten the shafts, possibly get new ones made.

I planed on outtin my 8" on next friday btu I wont be able to becuase I hafta ship it, but I'll be doin all my other mods.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

If one of the main ingredients in WD40 is water then why is it a water repellant? That just doesn't make sense. The name stands for Water Displacer.

8. Mantruck-k5

Mantruck-k5 Registered Member

9. 4x4k20

4x4k20 1/2 ton status

10. Mantruck-k5

Sorry

WD-40 probably has it's own message board anyway. I've helped a few friends with 8 inch lifts and we encountered no serious problems. I think the emergency brake cables had to be adjusted....

11. Mantruck-k5

oh yeah

new drive shafts also...

12. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

You are going to do more than lengthen your driveshafts. You will also need to rotate the rear axle and move the spring mounts if you do not want to bind the driveshaft. Some ORD front shackles would be good to do at this time as well or you are going to slam the frame. You might as well get the 1 in zero rates to level up the back also. I am only metioning this because I installed an 8 in skyjacker lift on my 75 a few years back and this is what I ended up doing. You can also get your shafts from Steve at ORD, who gets them from Tom Woods. Depending on your motor you may also need to fab a traction bar for axle wrap. Good luck, hope this helps.

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Lol, the ingredients are secret, EH? Send em an email asking for the MSDS form and I bet they're not so secret.

14. savagek5diesel

savagek5diesel 1/2 ton status

My buddy and I did my 6" inch in 6 hours and it was the first lift we ever installed. What i would recommend is make sure you have your vehicle as high as you can get it, because at the end of the night my neck and back were killing me. Get a little propane torch or some kind of torch for heating up the steering arm. that was probably the hardest part. and one major tool we could have benefited from was a good hammer, posibly a 3lbs. sledge.