Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has lowerd there 2wd chevy....

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by 84CUCV, May 22, 2004.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

What is it like? How does it handle? I have a 98 ext cab short box. I saw one looked kind of cool lowerd. What else would you do? thanks mike

2. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Yes they look badass lowered and lots of motor work. My 84 needs to be lowered 3 in front and 4-5 in rear but thats after i get the tranny/rearend upgraded

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

The ride and handling dependends on how much you lower it and what parts are used to lower it. If you don't go crazy and only drop it about as much as "89K1500Chevy" has mentioned it should be ok. It would be best to use spindles for the front and new springs for the rear. The parts are a lot cheaper to lower than to raise. If you use only a drop coil sping up front you won't have much suspension travel and it will ride like a go-kart. If you have a bunch of extra $$$ you could get a bolt-on 4 bag air ride system, the ride and handling would be better than stock.

4. 84CUCV

I like the airbags but WOW $$$ more then i would like to spend at this point.

mike

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

as mentioned before the best way to do the front is spindals. the only drawback of doing just spindals in the fron ti that you need a much stiffer or adjustable shock up front or the same height springs up front with a higher spring rate. im not sure if you have noticed how soft the springs are on the front of your rig, but if you just lower it without the added spring rate it wont corner much better at all. a 2 inch belltec drop spindal with some adjustable shocks and a 2 inch spring are the way to go in my eyes. i installed them on a 97 a few months back along with a drop shackle and overload in the rear. the truck went down the road GREAT(a little stiffer, but thts what we wanted for the corners) a couple weeks later we beefed up the sway bars front and rear. added some 18 inch rims and some 40 series tires and you could corner that truck a lots smoother and faster yet still cary the weight rated for a c1500. i do agree that air bags are the way to go if you have the cash and can do the work yourself. but they are spendy.
    Grant

6. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

I lowered a 1990 Std Cab SB. I used modified lower A Arms w/a 1" dropped spring. In the rear I used the extended shackle and raised upper hanger. It was supposed to be a 4/4 drop. Turned out to be a 5/3 drop. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Only had one problem w/the front being that low. Got hung up on a rail for a Kiddie Train at the IA State Fairgrounds. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif I had KYB shocks on it also. Rode better than stock. A friend had a 90 that he lowered w/spindles & 2" Springs and a rear flip kit and stock shocks. Mine rode better than his. Kinda torqued him off. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It handled better than stock, also.

7. 84CUCV

Thanks guys I found a good kit by belltech. I will have it soon. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

8. rodzzilla

rodzzilla 1/2 ton status

Get some pics up when you are done. I still like lowered trucks. I have been thinking of dropping my 76 C20. Too many irons in the fire right now.

9. 84CUCV

I will put pics up mike