Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has moved their FT shackle mounts?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nomadman, Jan 13, 2005.

1. nomadman

nomadman 1/2 ton status

I was considering moving my FT spring shackle mounts forward for better shackle angle. I have read some posts suggesting the frame becomes weak from the extra 2" hole necessary for the move. I was wondering if there was anyone who has the xtra hole and if they had any comments one way or the other?

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I just finished mine last month. Still have not gotten it on the raod though. Working on the rear now:(

When i drilled the new 2" hole, i used the slug and welded it up in the old hole. It fit perfectly. For the shackles i used a 6" center to center length and gained just lass than one inch of lift in the front. I will find the pics i took and attach them here.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

I havent gotten it all the way back together yet, but I guess when it does it will break if it wasn't a good thing... oh well, it happens!![​IMG]

4. nomadman

nomadman 1/2 ton status

Great pis! Looks like the job won't be too bad. Has anyone had theirs out wheelin' yet to 'put it to the test'?

I've got the RR springs out and the RR mounts cut off in prep for the shackle flip right now. FT will be next.

5. nomadman

nomadman 1/2 ton status

Someone must have done this mod and have some feedback from the trail.......?

6. evo

evo Registered Member

i did mine about a year ago, on a trail only rig. so far i haven't had any problems with it. it flexes better and is pretty easy to do, just need longer shackles

7. nomadman

nomadman 1/2 ton status

That's good information :grin: ! Did you weld in the old holes or leave them for ventilation?

8. original balzer

original balzer 1/2 ton status

what does that do to pinion angle?

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Is this with a stock length front spring? With or without vehicle weight?

[​IMG]

I can't post the pic, just a link :confused:

10. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

6" skyjacker stock length. No weight on the springs, the axle was removed at the time. Even though it does not look like it the shackle i built is verticle in that pic.

If you want i can take a pic of it today with weight on it

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

If you have time to get a pic it would be great. I am thinking of moving mine up also and still use my 6" lift springs, just wondering what the shackle angle looks like. Thanks.

12. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Here are the pics

If you would like any other angles or measurements let me know. It is just sitting in the garage.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  13. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Thanks for the pics. I like the way the shackle angle is, I'll have to do that to mine also. I think I made my shackles 7" c to c, so I should be ok.

14. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I think that 7" hole to hole would be too long. Your caster angle and pinion angle would be out of wack.

Of course that is what i would picture happening....,but i have never tried it either.

15. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Pinion angle I'm not concerned about, but my caster angle is out of wack. It still drives ok, but I can tell it wanders a bit. Looking at where the shackle bolt goes through the frame at in the stock location compared to the "mounted forward" location it appears as if it will mount higher in the frame, which would be like a shorter shackle. And the extra angle will take away from the lenght too. I'll try it and see, they are easy to swap out later if it's still too much.

Edit: But maybe my shackles are only 6". I'll have to measure them in a few weeks.

16. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Mine are 7.25 hole to hole

17. evo

evo Registered Member

mine are 7" center to center, it does change the caster, so i just bolted in a degree shim to the bottom of the leaf pack. i also just left the old hole in the frame open. i havn't had any strength issues.

18. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i dont mean to hijack but~i've been considering doing this as well. thing is, i've got new HD shackles from ORD, i'd hate to have to make my own and scrap them. my truck only runs 3" ez rides up front, so the springs dont grow as much under compression as a 6" would. think the HD shackles would work for this?

19. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I don't think the HD shackles form ORD would be long enough to work if you moved the frame mount. I will run out to the garage in a hour or so and measure the minimum length you would need if your mount was where mine are.

20. nomadman

nomadman 1/2 ton status

I think you'll find the ORD shackles are 4.5 center to center. I also think that would be too short for a mount relocation. You could ask Stephen from ORD and I'm sure he could give you a definate answer.