Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has older toyota 4x4s.....

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by 84CUCV, Sep 27, 2005.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Just wondering what you think of them. Found a 84, 85, and a 87. Like the 85 FI and a solid front. So what are the pros and cons of these? thx

mike

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

be sure to check the frame area on the passenger side, behind the cab. they're notorious for rusting through there first. also, check the brake hard lines on the passenger frame rail, between the frame and gas tank. if used in mud, it will pack there and rust the line to the point that it'll rupture.

Toyota's ifs is one of the best available, as long as the tire size is kept moderate (around 35-36 max). above that and ball joints and half-shafts suffer.

The same can also be said for the solid axle. the newer, the better, as toyota added gussets to the front housing in the later years.

I personally haven't found any flaws in the use of the stock carb on a toyota. if adjusted properly, it handles hills and angles as good as FI.

3. 84CUCV

OK thanks for the info. mike

4. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

I have an 87 4runner with the 22re and ifs with 33's and love it.It has been the most reliable truck I have ever had.It has 240,000 miles and I just had to replace the engine.I have seen the 22r's timing chain eat through the cover and still run.I even saw a 22r with a baseball size hole in the block and still ran.They are really tough engines.Not alot of power but that 's what the high gears are for.My runner came with 4.11's.I am upgrading to 4.88's or 5.29's in mine.I am a member over here http://www.yotatech.com/ Great info on all your toyota needs.

5. 84CUCV

Thanks for the link. 240k wow, never heard of a 350 doing that. Seen a few 6.2s do it tho.

mike

6. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

buddy has a couple. his baby has 230k, double TC's, everything you cvan think of--runs like a champ

his other, "Crash" we are building cheap but strong. ill do a post as soon as we get started. its gonna be cool.

7. 84CUCV

Any pics of his rig? still trying to learn about these. thanks mike