Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who has put a blazer tank in their truck?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by UNCLE CRACKER, Nov 25, 2002.

1. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of dithching the saddle tanks in my truck in favor ok a 31 gallon k5 tank. I want to put the tank inbetween the frame rails either over the rear end or behind it. If anyone has done this how did you do it and do you have any pics? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    Thanks for any help
    Cassidy

2. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

my personal thoughts, i wouldnt whant a gas tank behind the rear end becouse if you get rearenbded it could puncture and catch fire. Or since you probly lifted (where was my brain /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) inbetween your frame rails would protect it more from rocks and stuff.

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

I put a tank out of a Suburban under my stepside truck. I used the stock straps for the tank and built some brackets to mount them to. The front bracket is a piece of angle iron bolted to the frame with two short pieces of angle iron hanging down for the straps. I made the rear bracket by bending and welding a piece of angle iron to hang down far enough for the straps to attach to. There were a couple crossmembers (for the spare tire?) already there. I put some rubber in between them and the tank and bolted it up, then ran all the hoses. I was able to run a piece of pipe and a couple rubber hoses up to the stock filler neck.

I dont have any pics right now. It does hang down quite a bit and it has drug a couple times. When I put new wood in my bed I plan to cut out the crossmembers and get it up higher. I also want to build a skid plate for it. When I put it in I was kinda in a hurry to get it done.

I did this on a stepside so if you have a regular bed it may be a little different.

4. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I was going to try that I have a '85 K5 that I use for spare parts and I was going to take the tank out of it, and put it on my '74 C20, but when I try mine I will have a flatbed so the tank will not be so low.

LooksBack

5. UNCLE CRACKER

UNCLE CRACKER 1/2 ton status

my flat bed lets me put the tank up fairly high out of harms way, I just need some ideas