Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has put a newer steering column in an older rig???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevyfumes, Apr 4, 2007.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Was gonna put an 84 tilt with wipers in my 74 with the wipers on the dash. ANyone done this before???

2. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

that's a good question. i was gonna swap my steerin column out too and never even thought of the wipers. that would have made a little bit of a headache later on

3. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

I did the opposite, but it's close. Where do you want the wipers? 79-83 wiper on dash was wired the same (colors and all) as the 84-up wiper on column. So you just need to cut and connect the wires. But the 73-78 is wired totally different. I tried to use a 75 switch, but just found a 79 switch to made it easy.

Also you will have to swap the shalf from the column to the gearbox. The bottom of the columns are different, I forget offhand what year they changed, 77-78?

4. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I have the stuff for the swap to the box, just need to know about wiring and if it will bolt up the same way...

5. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

They will bolt up the same, but like I said before, the wiring is messed up between those years. I'll look at my diagrams again, to see if I can figure it out.

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Cool thanks ,maybe PM me with it because this post is drowning...

7. skyyk5

skyyk5 1/2 ton status

Ok, I'm going to go see Daryl this weekend, So when I get back I'll check it out.

8. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I've done it. There's some issues.

The wiper motor is the same. The harness under your dash *should* be the same, you just need to unplug it from your switch and plug it into a new controller box, that in factory trucks ties to the bottom of the column (deck of cards looking thing with alum finx on one end), the column switch plugs into the other end of this. I wired my truck from scratch, so I figured out the wiper circuit from my own bench testing. But if the connector isn't the same, according to the wiring diagrams from the factory, you should be able to cut that connector off and get a donor connector (or new one from Haywire here) and wire your wires into that. You can splice the wires or use GM Pack-Con II terminals with a Delphi crimper. Part number for terminals for the connector, the controller, and generic wiring can be found here.. Factory wiring diagrams can be, as always, found on Dremu's site. http://brochures.slosh.com

Turn signal switch will need updated to the new one, or Painless makes a conversion to use older chassis wiring connector with a newer column connecter. They just lenghtened the connector by a few pins.
    Here's the painless conversion. But IIRC, that conversion is to use older column in newer truck. 30806 is what I was thinking. 30805 will cover you in any event, it comes with both style connectors. Or check here for all new connectors.

Keep in mind, to use any of these conncetors and terminals, you need the delphi crimper, a standard crimper doesn't work. That crimper is $100. If your just doing 1 or 2, you could get away with careful plier crimping and solder. But tediously soldering that many in the T/S, wiper, dimmer, that will get old quick, if your not an expeireced solderer, you'll gett too much on there too and they won't fit into the connector body. The delphi crimper bends and folds the wings into and back outboard distributing the wings of the terminals throughout as many strands of wire as possible. If you plier crimp, that's why you need to solder, to spread the electrical load out through the strands of wire. Regular crimper, just doesn't work on these terminals.

Watch what end you get that connects to the steering shaft. There are slight differences depending on year, and style. See this post detailing some of the issues with that. Post # 7 is probably most relavent.

Dimmer switch, you can use the same connector, it fits, I think you have to break off a small piece of it, but the terminal layout is the same. Or you can buy the exact proper connector from painless or haywire sources listed above.

And finally, a word of advice, if your going to use new or replace the dimmer and wiper switches in the column, and arm/stalk in the column, which I would recomened anyway, use GM parts. The aftermarket ones don't fit as well, the switch has notches for the intermittent positions, where the GM on is infinite (smooth) rotateing, the arm/stalk from the aftermakret didn't line up perfectly with the switch, so the lines were off, no niggie, but annoying when you just bought new. I spent twice and bought GM because it annoyed me so bad. Sold the aftermarket ones back on eBay.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2007
  9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Aren't the wire terminals in the connectors the same '73-87(91)? If there are wiring issues, wouldn't re-pinning be easier?

10. 73k5blazer

Yeah, they are the same. Well, actually, I can't say for the wiper switch on pre'84 rigs, I'm not sure what's there for those.
    Yeah, it would be easier to re-pin. But you need the $100 crimper.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

No, not as in cut and add pins....de-pin the new connectorto match the old one. Isn't that easy enough?

12. 73k5blazer

MMM.....I can't remember now, if those terminals were different from the different styles, for the turn signal I"m thinking, the long and short styles. Yeah, I think they are the same, so I guess, yes you could pop the pins out of your old connector and pop the terminals into a new connector.
    There's three different width Pack-Con II styles though, very slight differences and one style won't fit into another body, so you just need to make sure they are the same.
    Wiper, if the connectors are different, are most likely different terminals, so you need those. But, mabey not.

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Thanks guys....:bow: :D