Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has rear disc brakes? What did you do for an ebrake? UPDATE

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by avgas, Jul 11, 2004.

1. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

I'm considering going to disc brakes on the 14bff I'm putting together, who has done this and what did you use as an ebrake? Did you go without? do you miss it if you did? Did you pony up for the caddy calipers? Are there any other options?

just trying to way the costs and benefits, I have an auto trans if that has made a difference for anyone.

UPDATE:

Did anyone use a proportioning valve, if not how do the brakes behave?

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Re: Who has rear disc brakes? What did you do for an ebrake?

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm considering going to disc brakes on the 14bff I'm putting together, who has done this and what did you use as an ebrake? Did you go without? do you miss it if you did? Did you pony up for the caddy calipers? Are there any other options?

just trying to way the costs and benefits, I have an auto trans if that has made a difference for anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I got caddy calipers from car-parts.com and there was no pennying up.. I paid $45 to my door for both.. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    I will put them on after my truck goes through inspection as I dont want to fail for ebrake. I was told that the ebrake doesnt hold well.. Well I want to give myself time to work any bugs out...

here is how much I have in mine...
    calipers - $45
    pads - $25 - didnt get the cheapies or the expensive ones
    d44 rotors - $45 for both
    caddy pins - $12
    ORD brackets and hose kits $123.. MENTION YOU ARE A MEMBER I GOT A DISCOUNT!!!!
    $250 for my rear kit!!!!

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    who has done this and what did you use as an ebrake? Did you go without?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have an ebrake.

[ QUOTE ]
    do you miss it if you did?

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't have one before, so no. I wouldn't mind having a line lock or something so I could get out of the truck without shutting it off, but what I've got now works fine for the time being.

4. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info guys, anyone else have any thoughts on the subject?

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

havent installed it yet, but I went with the High Angle Driveline, np205 driveline e-brake.

j

6. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I know that I can't imagine not having an e-brake. I don't trust park to hold my truck on a steep slope and there have been more than a few times where I had to stop on one. If it matters at all the drum brakes on a 14 bolt are a huge upgrade over the ones on a 10 bolt or 12 bolt axle. Way more braking power even when they get wet and whatnot. Does that help any?

7. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

ORD brackets and hose kits $123..

[/ QUOTE ]

What does the "hose kits" consist of?

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Detroits like to roll a little bit sometimes (usually in park) so some sort of e-brake can be nice.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    havent installed it yet, but I went with the High Angle Driveline, np205 driveline e-brake.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have alink to this? I can't find anything on there website /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. RootBreaker

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

ORD brackets and hose kits $123..

[/ QUOTE ]

What does the "hose kits" consist of?

[/ QUOTE ]

hoses..... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

nah just kiddin...

well the bracket kit was $80 which was the metal plate brackets and bolts to bolt it to the axle..

the hose kit had 2 hoses, clips, some kind of mounts, and other bolts... they show ya on their site... it was $60 + $15 shipping. but as we were talking I gave him my email then he knew whom I was and gave me the friendly CK5Member discount!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

I priced chevette front brake lines as what it says on the tech page and they were $22 each.. so I figured for $44 might as spend the $60 and get them from azkickin....

11. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I agree that using Park is not ideal, but if you put the T-case in low-range it multiplies the holding power of the parking pawl by your low-range ratio. Leaving it in 4WD gives the redundancy of holding at both ends (with both drivelines).

The same applies to using a manual transmission and engine compression to hold the vehicle in place.

12. avgas

avgas 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the input everyone, basically everything for the brakes is toast on the axle, so it would actually be slightly cheaper to go to the rear discs. I've never had an ebrake that could hold the truck on a steep hill anyway. Line locks and or driveshaft ebrake looks like an interesting solution, as well as eventually going to the caddy calipers.

Hate to hijack my own thread but does anyone have any clearance issues with 15" rims and rear discs?

thanks,
    jake

13. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    as well as eventually going to the caddy calipers

[/ QUOTE ]

caddy don't work, so don't waste your time or money on them

14. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

I got my caddy calipers loaded from www.tsmmfg.com they are not the cheapest by they had everything they needed included.

They hold very well for parking(in my Sub, probley 6500-7000 lbs.), didn't have to use valve or different master cylinder or brake booster. STOPS real nice.

The 15" rims will not clear the calipers, if they have high backspacing, 2 1/2" or less I think will clear, I went to 16.5" rims instead of grinding the front and rear calipers. 16" rims would be nicer but are more expensive right now.

I like knowing that the brakes are at the wheels instead of at the t-case, but mostly because I already had my new custom driveshafts and didn't want to mess with changing it.

15. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Jek how are going to attach the cable?

16. chevy_addict

chevy_addict 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What doesn't work on the caddy, the e-brake or the caliper in general?

What do you recommend using?

Dave

17. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What doesn't work on the caddy, the e-brake or the caliper in general?

What do you recommend using?

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the main problem is that the Caddys have a ratcheting type ebrake lever, which puts more force on the cable than our standard levers. Basically, our setups don't pull enough cable to make them tight. You may want to do some searching, I think you can make some longer levers on your calipers to offset the lack of a ratcheting lever.

18. RootBreaker

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    as well as eventually going to the caddy calipers

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I am going to use mine.. wether it holds or not... the inspection guy isnt gonna say.. ok so it doesnt hold.. glad you didnt install it.. instead he is going to have me push on it and he is going to count the clicks.... I dont believe they put you on a hill and say... let the ebrake hold your truck... also I am not going to do my rear disc until after inspection (hopefully in 2 months.. i keep on saying that...)

19. oilburner

oilburner Registered Member

As is posted on here above, try giving a call to Jess at HIGH ANGLE DRIVELINE 530-877-2875 or click on www.HIGHANGLEDRIVELINE.COM to check out their tcase EBrake setup. I bought and installed his kit, along with the new yoke to house 1350 ujoints. It was well worth the price, and is a quality piece. Jess is also a real gentleman on the phone. PM me with your EMAIL address if you would like more info.
    G /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

20. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Now I don't have that big dawg 14 Bolt like you do, but I did do discs in the rear of my 12 Bolt, same calipers etc... I removed the prop valve on mine, and everything works to be expected, but the first gens are diffrent from the second gens.

As far as the ebreak, I use a mech line lock from Jamar/JC Whitney. I plumbed it into the rear break system, and it' works very good, does not leak down at all.

This is how I elimiated my shifting clunk. First when I know I am going to stop for a while and the rig is off camber and or on any type of slope, before I shift into park I push down on the break pedal and push the line lock in, then release the pedal, then shift into park and done. One I start back up, I just step on the break pedal once and it releases, no trans clunk and or hard shifting on the trans.

It not a ebreak, but it works, I use a locking B&M shifter for the shifting function. I would trust it with just about everything but a human life.

Rob