Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has satellite radio?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by K5MONSTERCHEV, Nov 28, 2005.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Im curious, who here has satellite radio, either XM or Sirius. I listened to Sirius last year for the first time and I love it. Seeing all these christmas specials I am thinking about getting it. I thought id ask my fellow ck5ers what they like/dislike about satellite radio from their experences. Right now im leaning towards Sirius, well actually, its the only one ive heard and looked into, my uncle and friend has it and I love it. I know you can pay it monthy, but now theres a special for 500 bucks lifetime, which to me is a hell of a good deal. Any way, thoughts....opinions?

thanks!

2. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I got a Sirius streamer (that transmits to the radio so I can transport it from vehicle to vehicle.. I.E. listen a Broncos game while on a trail ride and not miss a beat in the tow rig on the way home :D ). I really like it. I paid ~$100 after rebate for it back in June and service was discounted because I bought 18 months in 1 shot.

As far as Sirius vs. XM that's a tough one. Thats like Dish vs. DirecTV - same sh*t, only different. Either one's gonna be 100X better than FM radio.

Mike

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

AOL has XM free...

If you have AOL,you can download some XM radio channels free on their "9.0" version..I have it,but my POS computer hasn't enough memory to let it work--either that or dial up doesn't work with it... :mad:

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I've got XM in the patrol car. Beats the like 4 stations we have out here, and that's depending on what part of the county I'm in.....................

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have Sirius. In all honesty, I got it more for my mother then me. She loves FOX News. I do enjoy quite a few channels on Sirius, but like I said, I got it more for my mother then myself.

6. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've got XM, just because XM has NASCAR channels and Sirus doesn't. I bought the little Roady 2 from Wal-Mart for $49 and it's worked great for me.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have XM and love it. I am on the road a lot and like everyone else said, it beats the FM hands down. With the rebates you can get the Roady 2 free. It will transmit through your FM radio so there is nothing to wire and you can move it from car to car. I also got the "home" kit for my office which is nice.

8. K5Steve

K5Steve 1/2 ton status

I just got the Sirius Starmate for christmas and it's awsome.I have it running through the fm transmitter till I buy the cable for the Aux input on my deck.I love the raw dog comedy station.

9. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I have Sirius and love it, best thing I ever did....

10. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

You'll have to get Sirius soon then since NASCAR is jumping ship and signed with Sirius.

I sell both instore and my personal vote is Sirius.

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. -- Sirius Satellite Radio on Tuesday announced a five-year agreement to give Sirius North American satellite radio rights to broadcast NASCAR racing and events that will bring unprecedented programming and marketing opportunities to NASCAR fans.

Beginning in 2007, Sirius will broadcast all Nextel Cup Series, Busch Series and Craftsman Truck Series races live on a specially created, 24/7 NASCAR channel, and Sirius will be the only place on satellite radio to listen to NASCAR.

As part of the agreement, Sirius will become the Official Satellite Radio Partner of NASCAR, with exclusive trademark and marketing rights, and the right to sell all advertising time on its NASCAR channel and during the race broadcasts. Sirius will pay NASCAR rights fees totaling $107.5 million over the term of the agreement, with the highest payments in the final years of the term.

"We're thrilled that NASCAR has chosen to move to Sirius," said Mel Karmazin, CEO of Sirius. "Without question, Sirius is the content leader in satellite radio. This decision places Sirius on track to become the content leader in all of radio, and we believe it will be an important driver of subscriber growth and advertising revenue.

"Our 24/7 NASCAR channel will super-serve NASCAR's 75 million fans nationwide in a way that's never been done before. In addition to the races, Sirius will take fans behind the scenes for inside news and bring them exclusive shows featuring their favorite drivers. It will be the ultimate NASCAR lifestyle experience."

"Sirius is the sports leader on satellite radio, and sports programming is a leading reason subscribers choose Sirius," said Brian France, Chairman and CEO of NASCAR. "When you combine NASCAR's growing popularity with Sirius' commitment to bringing the best in sports to its subscribers, it's easy to understand why we made this move. We believe that our partnership with Sirius will offer the best possible experience to NASCAR fans nationwide."

Sirius and NASCAR will work together to develop an extensive consumer marketing and outreach campaign for NASCAR fans. This effort could include advertising, cross-channel promotion throughout Sirius programming, officially licensed products, extensive at-track activation and ways for current NASCAR fans to switch to Sirius.

NASCAR is the No. 2-rated sport on television, second only to the NFL. Its 75 million fans nationwide are a testament to the sport's overall growth and broad appeal. NASCAR has the most brand loyal fans in all sports. Plus, with a 10-month season, the longest in U.S. pro sports, sponsors and advertisers are visible to NASCAR's fan base for most of the year.

"This agreement with NASCAR clearly reinforces Sirius' leadership position in sports programming," said Scott Greenstein, Sirius President of Entertainment and Sports. "With NASCAR, we will be able to develop endless creative programming and marketing opportunities, as we have with our Sirius NFL Radio channel, to benefit NASCAR fans and Sirius subscribers throughout the country."

"NASCAR and Sirius share a vision and passion for the future, and today's announcement sets the stage for a very unique partnership within our industry," said NASCAR Digital Entertainment President Paul Brooks. "For the first time ever, NASCAR is combining a national programming and content partnership with multi-channel branding opportunities and a major national marketing commitment.

"This is a new type of national media partnership that will have the resources to build amazing content every day from our drivers, teams, events and industry, and package that together with the NASCAR brand like never before to reach NASCAR fans and new audiences."

11. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

I wonder how steaming mad the people over at XM are then, and if XM has already started planning something dirty, underhanded and illegal to punish NASCAR for doing that to them?

EDIT - If not the main exectutives, then surely XM's marketing execs are probably mad as hell about that.

12. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I think XM is getting used to it Sirius has signed a couple of their "sponsors" already. XM got some good ones right off the bat since they launched their service well before Sirius but now that the contracts are starting to expire some of the people are opting to go with Sirius over XM.

13. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I have sirius and I have not listened to the radio since I got it. Very Happy.

The only problem I notice is when I am wheeling in thick woods I loose signal some times.

14. Inu-Hanyou1776

Well, XM then better declare an all-out business and marketing war then on Sirius and start fighting like banshees to get those customers back. Otherwise, they are going to pay for it later if they want to stay afloat.

15. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

that sounds interesting..... that is the only way i would do it hate to have to pay monthy and have then up rate over time or something, onder it it is the same up here in the great white north

16. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I have XM and love it. I considered both before I bought them but honestly talking about the difference between them is fairly useless, they're pretty much the same damn thing, it's all personal preference (unless you're talking about a specific feature like NASCAR or Stern). It's like talking Remington or Winchester, XBox or PS2, Windows or Mac. All preference.

That being said, I do know where you can get an awesome deal on XM Radios. Go to http://friends.xmradio.com and use the email address brad.parmelee@xmradio.com to look at the specials. I ordered a second radio from that special, the SkyFi2. I love it. And for $40 you can't beat it.

17. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Got it in the wifes Impala , love it . I listen to the comedy , rock , country and the two "right" stations :D

18. Inu-Hanyou1776

Howard Stern needs to be put in front of a firing squad and shot.

19. guido666

guido666 1/2 ton status

I agree, I think he's an ass, but I know he's only on either XM or Sirius (I don't even know which), and so people that like him easily choose the one that he's on. :doah:

20. Inu-Hanyou1776

If I get Sirius then eventually, and he's on Sirius, then I will kindly ask that his channel NOT be included on my subcription, or be removed ASAP if it's included anyway.