Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who has taken there tub off the frame??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by J.R., Sep 17, 2004.

1. J.R.

J.R. Guest

this winter i want to take my 89 tub off the frame and rust prof it. im open to all sugestions on how to do this with out twisting or flexing the body. if you have done this please explain how, bracing, strapes, etc.. thanks for all help. oh i did a search for this and i get nothing back. thanks again.. j.r.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

We lifted a burb body from the rafters of a barn. Pics can be seen in my webshots in the body swap albums /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. J.R.

J.R. Guest

what im thinking is to lift it and set it aside on saw horses and do the frame and underside of the body. i have heard of the body twisting or glass cracking and i want to avoid this. thanks for the help

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

When we lifted that burb, we did a 3 point lift....board thru the front door and a point to the back.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I took my cab off and it didn't break the glass. I left it all in.

6. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Lifted the tub off my blazer. Pretty simple really. We wrapped a large strap around the tub at the rear wheel wells. Fed over the frame and under the body and coming out a the center of the rear wheel wells. The front of the tub there are some supports down toward the bottom either side of the tranny tunnel. Kind of a upside down "T" shape. I Bolted a lifting chain to each one of these and up to a center point to a hoist. Worked really well. I think its best to leave the doors shut and top on when doing something like this. Keeps it stiffer which is good. Don't want to twist it and pop windows out.

7. J.R.

J.R. Guest

thanks for the info, thats how i am thinking of lifting it. just want to make sure im on the right track!

8. 85army tank

85army tank 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifI took my tub off with about 6 guys it was a little heavy but i stripped it right down to nothing.I had no doors on it and had just the windshield in and it didnt crack.And the new tub i put on just sat on my flat trailer till we picked it up and put it on the frame.I do have some pics of it if you want i can email them to you.I am stupid and havent figured out how to post pics on here. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i dont mean to hyjack but what is the best way to do it if i dont have something surdy to hoist it up by?

10. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

get a few buddies to help lift it by hand after gutting it /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

11. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I jacked the body up on pipe stands then put a 4x4 across the front and back resting in on the pipe stands. It took 6 stands, 4 for the 4x4s and two to jack it up initially. Then I rolled the chassis out from under it.

12. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

thats wut i want to do.

in my auto body shop we have a big lift that has 4 lifting arms that you move around. Would this work?

How hard would it be to disconnect everything from the body and frame?

THanks and sorry for hyjacking

13. J.R.

J.R. Guest

im open to all in put and questions. i want to get as much info as i can so there are fewer mistakes when i do it. so all help and questions welcome!!

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thats wut i want to do.

in my auto body shop we have a big lift that has 4 lifting arms that you move around. Would this work?

How hard would it be to disconnect everything from the body and frame?

THanks and sorry for hyjacking

[/ QUOTE ]

Im in the middle of doing this, I have the interior stripper, the dash off, the front clip off, but Im in the middle of stuff to take off the firewall... I dont want to mess anything up, so this, I think is the hardest part. I dont know what some of the stuff does to, so that doesn't help /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

not such a hard job but I almost guarantee you'll miss a connection. A wire or a hose or something. I've pulled three bodies and never gotten absolutely everything. Seems like you always miss one.

16. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Backed the 74 K5 into the barn... put tie straps and chain around the roll bar, rear tub and firewall...
    aired out the tires...
    seperated the bolts holding the tub on...
    let more air out...

pulled the chassis right out from under it...

granted you have brakes and electrical to disconnect too...
    and the barn was built good...

If you do this, dont work under the tub w/o puttign somethign under it to "catch it"
    /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

17. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I did it a few years ago when we swapped tubs, but I cheated and used a forklift.

We took the doors off and side windows out to get an easy lift w/o worrying about breaking glass.

18. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

So does anyone have a ball park weight of the tub minus doors and interior? Also no hardtop or front clip. I am doing this very soon, prolly the 'jackall lift and set it on 4x4s' method. I am not concerned with bending or breaking anything... this tub is garbage. The S-15 cab is going on next month! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Mike