Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has the best deal on a beefy D60 tie rod?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Buford, Aug 26, 2005.

1. 78Buford

78Buford 1/2 ton status

I have the stock steering setup on my Ford. Saginaw pump, and a stock steering box. It isn't bling, but it works. I have wanted a beefy tie rod for a while, but was limited in availability due to a few small differences in the Ford setup.

The tie rod taper is different on a Ford, and the Ford drag link has a factory "bend" to clear the front diff cover. This is because the steering knuckles don't extend out as far as they do on a Chevy. Basically, a Chevy runs a straight tie rod, and the Ford cannot. Also, the knuckles on a Ford are higher off the ground, and the tie rod on a Ford mounts to the bottom of the knuckle. Chevy tie rods mount on the top, and the height difference is less than 1/4".

After breaking a stock D60 driver side steering knuckle two weeks ago, I now have the Dedenbear knuckles for both sides. They are much beefier….supposedly no one has ever broken one……and they based on the Chevy casting. I will be able to use the Ford tie rod for now, but I'm looking to get a Kong sized tie rod. Also, regarding the ends, I've heard that Heim Joints are stronger than TRE's but they don't last nearly as long. I do drive my junk to and from the trails, so I don't want something that wears out a couple times a year. Here are my questions:

1. How much stronger are Heim joints vs. 1 ton TRE's?
    2. How much sooner do the Heim joints wear out compared to a one ton tie rod end?
    3. What would you guys recommend for the ends?
    4. Who has the best price on a beefy tie rod with the ends?

Thanks,
    Roy

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

I just ordered some heavy duty steering components from Offroad Design. They were for a Chevy D60. I never inquired about Ford stuff, but he does advertise D60 of all makes. Id try there first.

http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/catalog.htm

Good luck...

3. utchev

utchev Registered Member

One of our local shops, Rocklogic 4x4 is great with D60 (and knowledgeable about the F*rd vs. the GM/Dodge versions). They've got great stuff and great advice........

www.rocklogic4x4.com
    1-866-YO-LOGIC
    1-866-965-6442

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I talked with Stephen at ORD about using a heim over a TRE in the steering and he said it was not great idea because a TRE has a higher shear strength than a heim. I know a lot of people who run heims on drag links and tie rods with no issues but they are all trail only rigs.

You might want to check into making your own tie rod. You can get 1.5" 1/4 wall DOM for 6-7 dollars a foot (if you look real hard you can find it cheaper, I found it for $5 a foot!!) then either weld in adapters or have the ends tapped out for TRE's. The tap sizes are not real common so you may have to check around with a few machine shops/specialty automotive shops

5. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

6. 78Buford

78Buford 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the information guys. Are the widths of a Ford D60 and a Chevy D60 any different? With the new knuckles, the Chevy TRE's will fit the knuckles perfectly. I figure that a stock Chevy tie rod assembly would work on my setup. With the ORD discount, a beefy tie rod would be around $104. Does anyone know what TRE's they use? I couldn't find it on their site....it just said something to the effect of "HD ends." Do they use stock Chevy 1 ton TRE units, or are they custom items?

The reason that I'm asking: If they are regular production TRE's, I'd rather buy them local through a parts store with a lifetime warranty. I could get Perfect Circle (Division of Dana-Spicer) or Moog (likely the best) and the guy behind the parts counter doesn't care if you have a stock truck or a 7,000 pound + overweight trail rig. ;) I've wheeled the truck long enough that several lifetime warranty items have saved me significant $$.

Thanks,
    Roy

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I don't know, but if you want I can measure the legenth of a stock GM one. Let me know.

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have a Chevy D-60 under my truck and a 79 Ford HP-60 in my garage if you need me to take pics or any measurements just let me know

9. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Just call Trevor at WFO Concepts and get the right stuff the first time, at a good price, and have it show up at your door in a matter of days...

10. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

x2

Trevor is GREAT to deal with. He went out of his way to call me about a subject that had nothing to do with my order from him. He was trying his hardest to help me out, even though he didnt offer what i needed.

11. 78Buford

78Buford 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the offers guys. A picture and a measurement showing the Ford D60 vs. the Chevy D60 would be great! The measurement I'd be interested in is from the center of the TRE/center of the knuckle to the other side center of the TRE/center of the knuckle.

I think I've bought a yoke off of Trevor in the past....it arrived quick.

Thanks guys,
    Roy

12. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

1.5 diameter .375" wall tapped to 7/8 16 left and right hand cut to your dimensions $100.00 plus the ride.

13. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

for a 7/8" thread im using TRE #s ES2334r & ES2010L.

14. grundy99

grundy99 1/2 ton status

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Zerk to zerk is 56". Let us know if you need anything else.

16. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I think you mean 7/8-18 (fine thread).

17. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I JUST got my beefy tie rod in from shackerbuilt, BUT I had ordered it when I still had my 10b, and my D60 came with a chromo one that used heims. The PO of it drilled out the taper for the TRE's in the knuckles so I cant use it. Its a MONSTER though, 1.5"x.433!!!!!!
    Might could make you a good deal on it if you are interested, its made to use the short TRE's (2234R,2010L).

18. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

my neighbor needs a beefy 10B tie rod too..and cheap as possible

19. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

It was made to be able to work with a d60 or 10b.
    I bought it for $115 Will sell it for $100 hasnt even been taken in the garage :D

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

WFO Concepts or Black Widow Perf, either way.

j