Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has the BEST OIL ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89K1500Chevy, Jan 27, 2003.

1. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

I run havolin but ive been told that havolin doesnt have good grade oil and i should use Mobil 1 or castrol GTX I dont want to run syn. oil as i did that in the rear differential and the rear went out about a month or so. Can you switch from Reg. Dinosaur Oil to Computer Syn. oils in an engine? Is it good to mix Oil Brands or change oil brands? I dont know about Havolin not having good oil b/c ive been using it for a long time and not had any probs but i like performance and every thing adds up! Anyone know the pro's and con's to Reg oil and Syn oil? /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I was taught that if run regular oil you shouldn't switch that being said I built both motors that are in 2 of my trucks and I run Mobil 1 synthetic and have since the first time they were fired any thing thats used I run delo400 from chevron It's not synthetic but it's desinged for Large Diesels that see alot of abuse and infrequent oil changes I wouldn't switch to synthetic in your truck if it has alot of miles But I'm not an expert I guess you could visit the oil companys website and see what they say /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif As far as havoline having bad oil I'd say no I've heard bad things about castrol and penzoil but never Havoline /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. 74beater

74beater 1/2 ton status

CASTROL BABY...BEST STUFF FROM THE EARTH...NEW MOTOR RUN SYN..OLD MOTOR RUN REG...

ALL HAIL THE ALMIGHTY SAWZALL /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Well I got a 350 crate Motor with prob est.10,000 to 15,000 miles on it. so not many. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

5. yellowK20

You like Castrol??? I have no experiance with it but I know a lot of guys say that don't like it /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Valvoline.

7. yellowK20

I used to run valvoline but I get delo400 Cheaper and I think it's just as good /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

8. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I get delo400 Cheaper and I think it's just as good

[/ QUOTE ]

You get what you pay for with oil.

9. Slayer

Slayer 1/2 ton status

Eastern Colorado, jokingly referred to as Western
    I used NOTHING BUT CASTROL for all my years stationed overseas. Upon returning to the US, 10 out of 10 mechanics/racers have told me how bad Castrol is. They have a lot more experience than I do.

9 out of those 10 say Havoline for street and Kendall for racing.

As an exemple, one guy who runs modified race cars, with a 650+ pony motor, had the car on the dyno, to check the various oils. With Mobil-1 he lost 20 ponies. With Castrol Syntec he lost 14 ponies. The best performing oil was the Kendall. With Havoline, he lost 6 ponies over the Kendall racing blend.

When I installed my 383 crate motor, GMPP said that they could NOT recommend an oil, but the people that they referred me to said Havoline.

I too have heard bad things about Havoline, but my crate has just over 15K miles, and no problems so far, and I change the oil every 3K as I do road-rage traffic daily, plus all that fun winter stop'n'go.

Someone, like Hot Rod Magazine, should do a comparison on oils versus horsepower/torque.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

10. yellowK20

The reason I get it cheaper is The place I work at get's it for wholesale I get it For 5% above that And It's designed for heavy duty service I like valvoline But I've had very good luck with delo400 so I'll keep using it It's not "cheap" oil

11. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

what you run doesnt matter.
    change it often

12. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

But I've had very good luck with delo400 so I'll keep using it It's not "cheap" oil

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok.

13. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

I'll second valovline. No problems with Castrol. Used Havoline for years on a 350 that still runs today after 150k (rebuilt top for lack of leaded gas, factory bottom).

NO TO PENZOIL. When helping a friend rebuild a busted Ford diesel (6.9), our machine shop accomplice steered us away from penzoil. After switching myself, friends, and family, we have discovered cooler running engines, better performance and increased economy.

As to synthetic, I have been running it in my cars for some time. I go 5-7k between changes (depending on when I get in the garage). Various brands of synthetic; my last car still ran like new at 163k miles (Pontiac) when I got clobbered in a parking lot /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Just my experience, everyone's varies.

14. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Over 450,000 on 88 GMC,Prob should work on it,but,still running good.reg oil and filter changes on CASTROL. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

In our D/A we run Mobil 1 Devlac full synthetic- in our big rigs we run whatever they drop off in those big 55 gallon barrels- it's Mobil- I know that much..

In my K5 I run regular Mobile 10/40....

Our D/A has synthetic because that's what the "warranty god" told us to do at it's first oil change at 1K...same with the rear....we go about 7500 between oil changes, 95% highway...and have perfect looking oil when it's changed.

My truck I change it in the spring, (April) again in July and then again in October when I park it...oil looks good then too, well for an engine with 200K on it, it looks as good as it should.

My dad was a mechanic for all the years of his life, and he swore by Mobil products...

Brandy

16. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

A good Synthetic Oil will out proform any Dino Oil. Synthetic oil is made to to do just that. If is cold outside the Synthetic oil will flow at a much low temp than Dino oil, When it hot outside a Synthetic Oil will keep your eng cooler and will protect your eng better. A Synthetic Oil will keep your eng. cleaner than Dino oil ( no sludge).
    IMO Amsoil then Mobil-1 are the best Synthetic Oil out there I used to run Castrol Syntec Before I went to all Amsoil products. I think I read somewhere ( and I will look for it) that Castrol Syntec is not a true Synthetic Oil.
    Well thats my .02 worth.

Eric

17. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i used to run castroll gtx but recently my dad picked up a case of quaker state and i can say that my motor does seem to run cooler.

18. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

castrol gtx /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I've been running Castrol Syntec since 1998. No problems except minor oil leaks.

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I think I read somewhere ( and I will look for it) that Castrol Syntec is not a true Synthetic Oil.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I would say from my experience that it is. I used to run dino oil and at 3,000 miles it would be black and smelled. I run the Syntec now until I can "afford" the change /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif and I let it go for about 5-6000 miles before I change it and it's almost good as new.