Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has the biggest MP3 collection on their computer

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by or2play, Jun 12, 2004.

1. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Well, like the title says. I currenty have 1,423 songs taking up 5.04 Gigs. And always adding too it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif So lets her it, who has the most?

2. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

i had something like 3,000 songs before i reformatted a while back. damn millenium edition glitches...

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

964 here, but 99% are ripped from my CD's. The only ones I have "stolen" are Bill Cosby and such, comedy.... I have most of those on tape and LP....

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

2,226 albums (2,457 discs)
    5,240 artists
    26,739 songs

~186GB largely @ 192kbps
    ~2,642 hours

It's a hobby /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

And yes, I do own the CD's for that lot.

-- A

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

1200 /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

4,138...bout 11.5 gigs...all ripped /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I have alittle over 2300 Songs and videos.

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I dont have any... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif my buddy...... Has 13.4GB and 2417 songs
    of course he ripped them all from cd's he has bought /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Dang /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Even If I encoded every cd I have in the house, I don't think I'd come close to that. Considering I only have a 120 GB hard drive. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

10. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

47.4 GB and 10,353 files (songs)
    I only have 275 GB of free space ... gotta love RAID controllers. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I have 3000 songs taking up 10.2 GB /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How can you have so many GB? I have 100GB plus a external hardrive hich is 80GB /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. spearchucker

I have a RAID controller (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Drives) with 10 36 GB drives hooked to it. They can all be 'joined' together through software to make one big drive. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I also have more drives laying around that I could add to that. So, let's just say that I have more than enough space for anything I'll ever need.

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So I am guessing this sits outside of the tower right? Or how does all of those fit in /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

15. spearchucker

The drives are in their own enclosure. I'd have to get another power supply and build another enclosure to add the rest of my drives if ever run out of space. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

16. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Ooooh ic. Is this something new? I have never heard of it before /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

17. spearchucker

It's been around for many yrs. The one I have was made by a comp. that was around for about 15 yrs. The reason you haven't heard of it is because they aren't for home use and are rather expensive. The cheaper controllers are in the $400 range.

18. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Oooh ic. I understand now, thanks for explaining it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

hmmm well I havent counted them but between mp3s and videos I have a little over 18 gigs mostly mp3s and about 3/4 of them are all from my cd collection I am a big music buff and am getting more everyweek and download them as soon as I get them then i keep a burnt copy in my car and the original in the case so if someone wants to break in my car and steele my cds all they dont get my originals /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

RAID (Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks) is used mainly on servers in computer data centers. Depending on how it is implemented (there are several different options, depending on the primary goal) it can provide massive amount of data storage, increase the speed of data access, and provide protection against the failure of a single disk drive. In some configurations, one disk in each set is "wasted" to store only parity bits that will allow the server to rebuild the data lost if another disk in the array totally fails.

The system operator will get a notification if a disk fails. The disk can be unplugged while the computer stays running (call hot swapping) and then a new disk inserted into its place. Then, using the data from the parity disk and the other disks in the array, the RAID software can calculate what data is missing and then write the missing data to the new, blank disk. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif It's pretty cool stuff.

In data centers, you'll find 7-foot-tall data racks that are completely filled with hard drives that are being used as RAID arrays. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

As for MP3's... I ripped a few songs from a couple of CD's, but was very disappointed with the sound quality. I find MP3's to sound extremely hollow when compared to the CD itself. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif My ears can tell that there's a lot of the music missing. The difference to me is nearly as obvious as the difference between AM and FM radio. There's a depth and richness that simply disappears. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif