Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who has the buggy spring front suspension?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddysub, Aug 20, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i'm interested in doing it on my suburban. how much was it, what parts do i need, and how hard was it? oh and do you clamp them down on the road?

2. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

Marv (Springer) has it--but doesn't recommend it---he'll give you more info on it though---to my understanding it works great for flex ---BUT---if you are going up something the front end wants to unload making it a very interesting situation. Marv will tell you what its like

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'v talked to marv on this many a times, basicly it comes down to street use. if you drive on the street, can the idea, if it is a full time trailer rig, then do it. i'v wanted to do it 3 times and each time i weigh the beni's

i'm going with the 84+xj/70'sfullsize wagoneer set up.

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Bigdaddy89( ithink that was his username, man I cant remember anything!) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif had it on the front. He is out of AZ....

5. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    Whats a buggy spring front suspension? I haven't really heard anybody talk about that on here before.

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

That is when you take the normal rear shackle loctation off the frame(on the front) and bolt the shackle to another leaf spring(that is only abot 12" long). Then that protion of the "buggy spring" is bolted to the frame. This allows the rear of the spring to hang down alot farther thus yielding more articulation and down droop.

This can also be done to the rear springs.

7. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

8. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

hmmm.. nevermind. /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif i'll just get softer springs.

9. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

There's a guy in Salt Lake who's Suburban has some funky front shackles. Basically, they are a triangle shape like the tow shackles you see on jeeps and stuff except longer on the bottom. on the bottom of these where the holes usually are drilled, instead of usual holes, his have like four or five inch slots where the springs can slide down under full droop. Anyway the springs rest at the stock position and he has no negative road manners with awesome flex. He wanted like $250 for a front set. Spendy, but cool!