Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has the Death Wobble

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wayne, Mar 29, 2002.

1. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

If you have the DW please post here what the specs are on your truck. Tire size, what axle, what tie rod, stabilizer, tire compound, lift, crossover or stock, and any other info you have. Tring to figure out what is actually causing it and what helps to get rid of it. Thanks.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Do you have DW Wayne?

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Wayne...did you miss this thread?

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=343233&amp;page=2&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=0&amp;fpart=> DW thread</a>

Rene

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Check this thread too...

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=blazer4x4&amp;Number=365499&amp;page=1&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=0&amp;fpart=> some great theory here...</a>

Rene

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

No I don't have DW. Matter of fact I don't even run a stabilizer now.
    Rene, I did see the post but looking into a few other things.

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i have it and it seems to get worse everytime i go wheeling /forums/images/icons/frown.gif blazer is a 77 with a 75dodge dana 60 2.5in lift and no steering stableizer yet 38x13x16in tsl swampers no other mods yet

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Wayne, I read the thread. I do not have DW. I ran the stock stabilizer for a while, ran without one for a while and now have the Rancho stabilizer that was on my 10b installed. I have never had a hint of DW. I am running 6" BDS springs, ORD HD shakles w/greasable bushings, ORD quick disconnects, ORD steering brace, and 37" SSR's on 16" rims.

I would be curious to know if DW is a common problem on the Military CUCv's or does this problem occur after transplanting.

8. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Wayne,

My name is Robert S. Usnick, and yes, i have DW.

Specs are as follows: 38.5 TSL/SX, Dana 44/14FF, 4:10's, Gov-lock rear, open front. Rancho Steering Stabilizer, ORD quick disconnects, and i also have a HD front sway bar with new bushings.Rough country 4" springs on the front with NO shim, rear is stock springs, ORD shackle flip, and lowrider extended shackles. ORD bolt on steering brace is also installed. ORD HD front shackles. conventional steering with ALL NEW tierod ends and drag links. i say again ALL NEW MOOG PARTS including ball joints, bearings, and seals.

Maybe all these ORD parts are causing my DW!!LOL J/K Stephen!!

rob

9. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Here was my situation.Dana 44 ,6" lift,new ball joints,good tight tie rod ends,tight drag link ends,no steering stabilizer,and 35-12.50-15s.No DW.After my first trip out with this setup I got major DW as soon as I got back on pavement.Everything was still tight but something had changed.I changed drag link ends and tie rod ends and still had it.I ended up installing a single rancho stabilizer in the stock location and it hides the problem fairly well.At certain speeds I can hit a bump and you can feel the DW try to start but the stabilizer stops it.

10. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

DW with Dana 60 front, 6 degrees caster, no stabilizer, crossover steering with straight drag link, 38" bias ply Swampers on steel wheels, does it when the tires are balanced or not, fairly new Rancho 5000 shocks, Rock Rod (they're not as stiff as you think), new steering gear box and pump, all new rod ends, 2" lift Skyjacker front springs, new rotors, pads and calipers, rebuilt king pins, and I check the wheel bearings all the time, they're always tight.

Shimming the king pins just about eliminated the DW for now!

11. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I have it---

83 1/2 ton, dana 60f, 14FFr 37x12.50.16.5 hummer radials, bent tierod, stock steering w/ dropped pitman arm, 6" TC HD lift w/ Hill offroad shackles. no shims for drivling angles

12. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't classify mine as "Death Wobble", more like "Injurious Wobble".

It happens between 45-60 mph primarily and is not quite as violent as some I've read here. My truck is totally stock (350/4L80E,10B,14BSF, no lift), except for aftermarket wheels and tires (16X8 589's, 265/75/16). After reading the "engineering DW" post, I'm targeting my original thought: my steering box. Although my steering wheel to box "play" is tight, I can move the wheels left or right with the truck off the ground approximately 2 or so inches. You can move the wheels in either direction with the steering wheel "locked". Ball joints new, tie rods/drag link good, no frame cracks at box, etc. As soon as my ORD brace comes, we'll see if a new box with a brace eliminates it.

Hopes that adds to your data collection.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

13. burbBoy

burbBoy 1/2 ton status

Oh yes i too have the death wobble. Its on my 82 burban 6 inch lift 38.5 TSL's and 10 bolt front axle. All my steering is completely stock with the exception of a raised steering arm. I have had it even when it was stock height with 35" SX's. I added a cheapo steering stablizier with no help what so ever.
    I have found that running a lower tire pressure 10-14 PSI helps a little but it still happens.
    Brian

14. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

It is interesting to see it happens on somewhat stock and modified suspentions. I have no DW now with my current set up but I will be doing a whole revamp of my front suspention soon. I think I will do 1 mod at a time and see if it has any affect before doing the next mod. I will also be going from radial SSR's to bias SX's and that will be the last thing I do so we will see what affect everything has.

15. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

not to wish you any bad luck, but i could almost bet that as soon as those tsl/sxs go on, you too, will have the honor (i mean horror) of DW. i hate it.

one thing i failed to mention above, is that i installed a B&amp;M floor shifter, but left the rod that goes from the coloum to the tranny dangling, and when the DW is about to start, it hits the frame and goes-clank-clank clank, then the DW happens. point being, is that the rod hits the frame in a left and right motion. and the clank sound goes from silent to really loud as the back and forth motion leads up to a full blown DW.

16. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

See other thread.........