Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has the SM465 in their Blazer...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigblue, Jan 15, 2002.

1. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

How do you like it. What are the pros and cons of going this route. I have the 700r4 right now and have the opportunity to convert over to the 465+205 combo. Then maybe the doubler too. What speed will I be able to cruise the highway at? Thanks

Surfing is Life...

2. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

i do, it is coupled with the NP203 though, not a 205. i do pretty decent on the highway (i get passed, but then again everyone else is doing 75mph) i think i will do alot better once i get rid of my stock gears and opt for the 4.10s right now my rpm's run real low and i have to shift at odd times. really hoping regear will fix all of this.

If it can't be broken then I haven't had it.
    '74K5 NP203/sm465 4"Lift 35"BFGs 350ci

3. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

I love it. Pros are hella-low gearing and brute strength.

Cons are that they can be stiff-shifting and the gear splits are really crappy for quick acceleration. They are far apart, so you have to hold each gear for a long time, and if your engine doesn't have a broad power band, you are SOL.

Still, for wheeling, it's hard to beat the low gear and strength. You don't have to worry about it overheating either.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i love mine with 4:10's and 33's i cruse at 65 at about 2600 rpm the only bad thing about the sm465 or any manual tranny is the shifting it can be a pain when trying to climb something but overall it is well worth having[​IMG]

wheeling pics

5. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

I Went from a th350 to the sm465 in a 77K10 that I used to have. The truck went from being a dog to a blast to drive. It crawled great too. Put it in granny with the t-case in low and it would poke along real slow. It p#ss#d my brother who had a CJ5 off cause he could not get his to crawl as slow as my truck. It also compensated for the crappy gears(3.08's) that that truck had.

I am trying to scrape the money together to do the 700 to 465 conversion on my 85 K5.

Why drive an automatic when you can shift??

<font color=red> It is just as much fun to build it as it is to bash it</font color=red>

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Ya the one thing to do with a 465 when in mud or sand is to be in the gear ya want to be in.
    trying to shift 1/2 way up a dune or partway through a pit can be a PITA and leave ya stuck or trying it again.
    4LO and 2nd seems to work good for me.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

7. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

what clutch type are you guys running???

also, would it be helpfull to put in some kinda hi pressure hose to blow out the dirt and stuff inside the bell housing. kinda pointing down on top of the bell housing. not sure how much space there is, it's something that i've been thinking about.

Jeromy, i'll be test driving a donor 3/4 ton this weekend. let me know if you can make it. I'll be pulling it's guts out on sat or sunday.

ARQ.

offroad baja!!!
    72 4x4 CST Blazer
    71 4x4 CST Blazer
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/ArqDennis>My Pics</a>

8. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I do with 4.56 and 35" mud terains, I like it but Im gunna switch to a Tubro 350 or Turbo 400. Im too lazy to shift plus the stuff we do , i hardly ever use low, and its more conventient for me for auto (the kinda romping we do) like stopping /taking off alot on inclines and what not. Its alot easier to just brake and take off then to play with the clutch and if you're in the mud pit in first or second with massive spinnage with my gears and tires my RPM tops out too easily and i heard its not good to shift while going thru/kicking up alot of deep goey mud. but I'll tell you what in low and 4lo i can crawl over anything.

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 35" BFG Muds, Series 40 delta flow 3" tips
    Coming Soon: Suspension Work, Eaton Posi, More Exhuast work.

9. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

No prob Arq, I can head down their Sunday Morn. Let me know.

The more I think about it the more it sounds like It would be killer!

Surfing is Life...

10. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Got one in mine. Went to the doubler last year and you could not give me an auto. Back in the south it sometimes would have been nice in a deep mud hole to have it shift for me, but when I was mudding my motor would turn 6000rpm's. Now for rockcrawling I will stick with the stick. The only problem on the trail is if you let somebody with an auto lead they keep you screwed up all the time slowing down and speeding up so you are constantly shifting. If you are running a manuel try to lead where you set the pace and all will be well.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

11. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

Mine has 4:56 with 35 swampers but not built for speed. It turns about 4000 rpm at highway speeds. Its lasted longer than any of the automatics that i had in it before and the clutch is easy to replace since its about the only thing that i tear up.

<font color=red>A BIG HAMMER CAN FIX ANYTHING.... </font color=red>[​IMG]

12. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>My truck is on its second SM465 (if you go in mud up to the top of the fenderwells a lot make sure the vent is routed up [​IMG]), and I wouldnt trade it for any auto. The gears are spread far apart which is a pain around town, but the low 1st, strength, and reliablility make up for it. I would take a 465 over a 700 any day. Oh yeah, I run a Centerforce clutch in mine

13. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I got an sm465 in mine as well. I can vouch for the city driving. Indeed the shifts are long but the healthy 350 makes it a blast. I run the road alot i have 3.08's and at 74mph I run 3000RPM's with 31's. No way I would mess with an auto I can tow like nothing else I still have a c10 with the TH350 no way I'd substitute the sm465 except maybe with the NV4500 :)
    Read my quote for the rest.

Granny LOW and let her GO!!
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

14. 1bigk10

1bigk10 1/2 ton status

I swapped in a 465 and I fell in love with it the first time I dove it down the road. i have a SHPE327Engine out of a 65"Vette. It start picking up power at around 2400RPM My current axle gears are 3.73's and I think I'll leave em that way and am working on a doubler. Even with thhose gears I'm running 38.5" TSL Swampers.65Mph is at about 1700 Rpms. The Sm465 is one of the toghest rannys out there and wouldn't give it up for anything. I also have a 205 and would never let that go either the low gear is only1.96 or something like that but the helical cut gears and Iron housing its definatly "LIKE A ROCK". Happy wheelin

1982 K10 Silverado. [​IMG] 327 SHPE powerplant SM465/205,15"custom lift 38.5"TSL/SWAMPERS 12boltrearD44 front,3.73 gears.

15. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

Love it for trail riding but as powermad said, you're pretty much comitted to the gear you're in once you're in a big mud hole

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </a>

16. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

me me too!! hehehe [​IMG]
    I have 465 w/4.11 &amp; 35x12.50-15 SSRs, my hwy rpm @ 65 is about 2700. I run CenterForce II cluch kit and it is 100% better than the old 3 prong style pressure plate I took out. The only thing that worrys me about my 465 is the manual linkage. I have busted one Z-bar but it probly was original from 72. Other than that it has been a great tranny and I wouldn't beable to go were I go if it werent for that GrannyLow[​IMG]
    I hear there is a 5 spd out there with a granny low also, NV4500 I think??? Can't remember.....
    Good Luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4</a>

17. Jimmy84

Jimmy84 Registered Member

im lookin to do the same conversion. does anyone one know how much i should expect this to cost. i appreciate the help.

1984 GMC JIMMY 350 6" Rough Country 36" Buckshot Mudders

18. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

No, but if I was converting from sushbox to stick I would also convert from manual linkage to hydrolic, I know it can be done we have talked about it here before. Do a search here and you may beable to find who it was......

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4</a>

19. hoserr

hoserr Registered Member

Jeromy, i went the other way. had a sm 420/203 an' went to 400/205. love it when i can stop in the middle of hill an' restart with out doing the three pedal shuffle. another good thing is the 400 /205 is stronger than a two year bull, with it i can pull other rigs up or of trouble, which seems to happen way too often. the stuff we do, the slush box is perfect. not much rock crawling but allot of hill climbing in baby heads an slit. Just my $.02.

uh, think it'll fit?

20. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

FYI, I was able to cure the three pedal shuffle by adding a Mico Lever-Lock. Now I can control the front brakes with my hand[​IMG] leaving my feet to work the throtle &amp; cluch[​IMG]!