Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has the West Texas Off Road Hydro Assist Steering System???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84CUCV, Nov 26, 2002.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I would like to know how it is and with the steering and braking set up on these trucks how is it when you hit the breaks hard and need to steer what happens? Since I cant afford that now where can I get a rebuild kit for my 2wd chevy box? Thanks for the help Mike

2. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

We'll, i'd love to tell you that they are great but i'm a little biased /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. So i'll let someone else tell you how bad they suck
    I also have the kits in stock if you want me to send you one, or you can usually get them at almost any parts store.

3. BOWTIE

BOWTIE 1/2 ton status

i too would also like to tell you how it works, but i don't have it on my k5. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

all i can tell you is that everyone that has it loves it, and the Matt over a WTOR is a great person to deal with.

ric

4. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I have the kit and wish I would have bought it sooner. Do a search, it's been covered many times, and there should be some good info in past posts.

BIGJ

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The rebuild kit from NAPA was about $12. They did have to order it in however.

6. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i have it...just dont have the ram installed yet...i am waiting to get some highsteer arms so i only have to weld the brackets on once and be done with it...WTO rocks!

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

oh yea Matt...i sent that other steering box back to ya yesterday..dont know if lisa told ya or not..but there is a added goodie to add to your shop inside the box..(not sure if lisa would aprecate it as much as you would if ya get my drift)

8. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I have it and I really like it. It IS a bit weird on the highway with how it handles now...but a lot of that is my soft springs and no sway bar, with soft shocks. Add all that together with the hydraulic steering and it gets a bit weird in long curves with bumpy roads, etc...but overall it is a great addition.

One big question for you Matt - Sometimes, my system acts as if there is no "power" assist...my best example is when I go to make a u-turn - let's say I slow down to a crawl, and then when I go to crank the wheel to start the u-turn, there is no assist! I manhandle the wheel to get it to keep turning and then usually by the time I make the turn it feels normal again...seems like at low rpms it doesn't have as much power as I would like??

Details - I have the 1.75" ram from you, you tapped my AGR 2wd box, I have a new AGR SuperPump...no leaks. I did notice that Steve Fox added fluid capacity by extending his filler neck, is this required? I was told to check the fluid level when the ram is all the way in (or the wheels to the right)...is this correct? Also, I did some of your mods listed on the website - took the washer out of the end of the piston, drilled out the orifice and stretched the spring a little.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

9. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i have the fix , tap the gas /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif tho you have the larger one so it takes more to get it moving probly .

10. TheLakeRat

Thanks for sending that back Chaz.
    Are you tryin to get me in trouble oe what? now i'm afraid to open the box when it gets here. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. TheLakeRat

THe problem you are having is caused by the pump back flowing when you drop to an idle after the rpm's ahve been up.
    The easiest way to fix it is to just bump the trottle but that's not a cure.
    To try and cure it you probably need to try to up the flow rate of the pump just a little.
    IS that AGR pump designed for a hydro assist kit or is it just a regular AGR super pump?
    If it's just a superpump then you can drill out that main fitting just a little and get some more flow out of it..
    That should help you problem and maybe even solve it.

12. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Well I have had both ram system. The one from AGR and WTO. the AGR system would get pretty hard to steer when you started to work the system pretty hard and I will not talk about it leaked all the time. The WTO system is what I run now it handles the heat and does not get hard to turn when the system gots hot. The WTO also handle the rock fine what I mean is you beat the hell out of the ram with the rocks and it does not leak. So I would get the WTO system if I were you and I'am sure you will love the system. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for the replys Mike

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I've got the old system from WTO, using a 2" ram. I love it in every way but one. It seems that I can't get enough flow at idle (my TBI idles at around 600 rpm) to work the hyrdo-assist ram AND my hydro-boost brakes. I'm considering going to a smaller ram along with more mods to the pump (possibly including using 2 pumps or a smaller pulley). If you don't have hydro-boost brakes, there will be no impact on brakes due to the steering. If you, like me, have both; then you definitely need the smaller ram and may need other mods to enhance flow.