Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has to work today?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Jan 1, 2005.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm leaving right now. :D

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

sucker!!!!:p::D:p::D

i had most of last week off, (wed-fri) and this week off.

worked out nice since my son was born last friday, sucks because as a contractor i dont get any pay, and i am working at my house.

i go back to my job and ass hole boss monday

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well people tend to want their mail delivered so its a 24/7/365 operation. :D

That and I get paid for working, and holiday pay so I'm on double time today.:grin: :grin: Plus my night differential its like $44 an hour or something.

4. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

I've been working all day long, just came in for lunch and back to the barn for milk time!!

5. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

youe delivering mail now???

is that how you do all your free shipping? lol

my mom has been a leter carrier for over 25 years now..

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

nah, he's working on the machines that sort the mail from what i understand.

7. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i am at work too, fire dept, doesn't care if it is a holiday

8. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Work, whats work? I went wheeling :D

Last edited: Jan 1, 2005
  9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Yep, me too!!!

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Yep. I gotta take my digi to work tomorrow so I can snap some pics. The machines I work on are manufactured by companies like Lockheed Martin, cost many millions of dollars, are unbelievably complicated and difficult to understand at times.....a total challenge, and cost many millions of dollars. :D Yeah, i said it twice, but it just blows my mind what they spend for a machine just to sort mail.

Today I worked on a letter sorting machine that sprays the little barcodes you see on envelopes. That little bugger does 40,000 letters an hour. :)

Some machines are crazy complicated, some pretty simple in principle of operation.

As to being a letter carrier, I have a lot of respect for those people.....but I would certainly not do the job they do for what they make $$$ wise. No way...

That said, I'd have been off today if I delivered mail. :D

11. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I thought you worked at a parts store? When did you get all the training necessary to become a "million dollar sorting equipment" tech guy?:what:

12. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Bah... darn hotel... I worked on New Years Eve until 11 PM, then again New Years Day at 6 AM...... talk about no sleep... :crazy:

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

High school. Remember when you sat in that vocational class that you never thought would do anything for you in life?

Well I sat down and took a test two years ago that took four hours to complete. In it, was some pretty common sense mechanical stuff, along with some pretty extensive electronics questions. I passed the test but it's a long process to get a job. I've been kinda looking forward to this job for a while.

I took two years of electronics in high school and that's the only reason I could pass the test. There were some technical drawings on the test (I took that too) just various things.

They send you to school to work on these machines because obviously nobody that has never worked for the post office has ever seen the machines I work on...but for your average mechanically inclined person, it's pretty simple to repair once you understand how the machine operates.

I'm going to take my digi to work with me tonight and take some pics. These machines are HUGE.:grin: Kinda a challenge to work on too.

Before I did this, when my business was doing better I worked at an auto shop part time. Either way I've been trying to get this job for 21 months and I finally got it.

14. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

You sure you're allowed? They might be downloaded by terrorists as plans to disrupt the mail service :grin: :grin: ...

15. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Today is my paid day-off :grin: ,watching it snow right now, so I will probably have to go in and plow the hiway....:(

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's international mail....let em. :grin:

I'm sure as long as I don't take pics of the entrances and stuff it's ok. It's a pretty secure facility anyway, I'd say it'd be pretty difficult to get into without a badge. The federal government really doesn't fool around with security.

I can't even clean my equipment with compressed air because of anthrax. :surepal: As if the ventilation system wouldn't send it all around the building anyway.