Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has used flush-mount speaker pods in the kick panels?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, Aug 22, 2002.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Where did you get them and how much were they? Also, were they worth it?

Thanks

2. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

I don't have 'em yet but have been looking for some myself. Q-forms makes some plastic ones but they are rather expensive ($100-$200) and from what I've read most guys lay some fiberglass down behind them to stiffen them up, otherwise they flex too much with powered speakers. They are pretty easy to find on Ebay if you don't want to pay retail. Also kicked around the idea of making some myself out of fiberglass, but it's a lot of work. I'm interested too if anyone finds a better option.

3. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

$211.46, they look awesome, i am very pissed on the price, easy to install, go right over the existing one, but the drilled holes didn't exactly line up, but you can't tell, and mine isn't in the way of the emergency brake, but its in the way for your foot to push the brake down to full potential, the color of my truck may be faded, but the q-form is way darker, they still look awesome, easy to cut and all, btw, i run 5 1/4 sony explodes, 200 max watt, 50 rms, and thats what they are gettin, and they sound fine to me, but i dont really have a finely tuned ear, mainly just redneck, the opposite sides are pointed right at you so there is no disruption, but you can't hear the one on the side your on very good. suggestion, buy some 6.5's or 6X9 and install them about where the ash trays are for the back seat (well anyway on my 87 its about knee height if your sittin in the back seat) and you'll get twice the sound as if they were in the rear mounting places. jus my experiences with em, lemme know if you got questions..

4. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

Well, I guess it depends on what kind of sound quality ($$$) you're looking for. A friend just got some cheapies from Best Buy for $60. Personally, I think they sound pretty good (but I'm no audiophile - I'd rather spend the money under the hood).

5. little79k5

little79k5 1/2 ton status

you can make some nice kick panels with a little work and time. various ways. i use 1/2" MDF and cut little pieces and glue them to make the shape i want, sand off the edges and cover it in fiberglass, sand it, and paint it. or you can cover them in carpet. you make a "ring" in which the speaker will be attached to and build everything around it.