Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has welded rear diff. on daily driver?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bajaviking, Apr 24, 2003.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I have been driving mine for about a month after we welded my 12 bolt and I am getting used to old ladies giving me dirty stares when going around corners. Who has broken stuff and under what circumstances did it happen, let me know your experiences. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. wadinator

wadinator 1/2 ton status

I don't have a welded diff for a daily driver, but I'm interested in how other guys are gonna reply to this thread.

Wouldn't that welded diff eat up tires like lunch meat though?

3. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Its not recommended to drive a welded rearend on pavement. It puts a lot of stress on the rearend, but maybe if you had a 14BFF then it would last. Im sure the tires would wear at an accelerated rate also. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

I have a welded rear on my ff 14 bolt daily driver.
    its not all that bad as people say they are.granted you have kick butt traction off road,but on road its harsh on tires,lets people stare at you when making turns /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif and forget about doing 3 point turns or U-turns,I have found out that with a long bed pickup 3 point turns are now 15 point turns /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifand you can forget u-turns,but I like it,and knew what it was going to be like,so I do not regret welding it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. bajaviking

I would like to hear how long you have been driving with this set-up. I have a friend who welded his 12 bolt 2 years ago(same guy that welded mine) and it has not broken yet and he has wheeled it pretty hard, he runs 35" MTR's. I just want to get a feel for how much breakage people actually experience.

6. MUD JUNKIE

MUD JUNKIE 1/2 ton status

I have prolly 100 miles on the welded rear,I dont drive the truck much due to the expired tags.one of these days I'll renew it /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifwhen I drive I drive hard,and have not any problems with it.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Tires wear like a mother. Overall I wouldn't say it is too bad. I have been driving my truck with a welded 14bff for 9 months now, and it doesn't bother me to much. People tend to stare when I turn corners, or whenever I try and park in a parking lot. I personally don't care.

On dry pavement I really don't mind the welded much except in tight corners when the truck starts to hop and buck some. I personally don't like wet pavement in it much. It is more annoying then the dry pavement. It slips and catches traction alot more, insted of just slipping like it does on the dry pavement.

Contrary to popular belief you can make tight turns and uturns with a welded rear. It is alot harder though. You have to basically gas it to get the one tire to break loose on u turns. On 3 point turns I use the gas and brake at the same time, mostly to help stop the hopping.

I know Dan (DesertDueler) had a mini spooled 12 bolt rear, and he broke the minispool in about 500 miles if I remember correctly. I don't know about the spiders though.

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

well i'm in process of buying a truck that has a welded 14BFF. Not my first choice, but it also has mickey t tires, so once I wear those out with the welded rear, then maybe I can upgrade to real tires AND a detroit.

9. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

my 83 had mickey-t's on it, just got some 38 sx's for it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

i've had a set of mickeys before. Not horrible tires, but not great tires either. They'll probably work ok for me though. When I upgrade, I have no idea what I'll run. It's a dd and weekend warrior and I'll be wanting 36's more than likely.

11. bajaviking

I have about 1500 miles on mine now, I only have had time to go and play once since we welded my spiders and it worked great, pulled a suburban and 2 pickups out of the local sand dunes. I can live with the bad roadmanners I am just curious about how much they are breaking.

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i have a detriot.. thats close. in a big heavy truck its not bad i love my detroit. ahhh all this truck talk is making me miss my suburban. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Technically, there is no such thing as a welded diff. Once you weld it up, it is no longer a differential, just a gear reduction unit.