Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has welded there 14b using the technique outlined on CK5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Has anyone here done this? Feedback? Opinions? +'s? Negitives? I've been kickin the idea around a bit and wanted to get some more food for thought to chew on...... /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I did /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

And it werks just perfeckt! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

What part are you worried about?

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Yep, Muddin did the article and Rene (tRusty) came up with the method. THey both have been running theirs for some time..

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

my friend did it to his and he has not had a problem

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Actually, he said it was a guy in Canada who came up with it....called a 'Fozzy locker"?
    Rene, if that isn't correct, than correct me please /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

It's buying me time till they come out with selectable lockers for a 14bolt FF /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    When I want to install a locker, all I'll have to do is replace the spiders instead of the whole carrier /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

6. Emmettology 101

Ah yes, the Canookian "Fozzy Locker"... I think that is the correct full name! LOL /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

'Fozzy" does them but I dont think he invented it, but who knows.
    I saw that first in demolition derby car preperation.

8. Emmettology 101

Fozzy as in from the Muppets? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yeah, Fozzy prolly didn't 'invent' that method but that's who I ripped it off from./forums/images/icons/smile.gif Actually if I'm not mistaken Fozzy usually does the side gears not the spiders...

At any rate it works good and I have over 20,000 miles on my welded spiders. That includes my trip to Texas towing an 82 blazer 2500 miles home, and a trip to San Diego towing a 74 Blazer 1500 miles home.

Rene

10. Zeus33rd

How long did it take ya'all to complete? What wedling process's did ya'all use? I just ordered a Lincoln Power MIG 200...So MIG it'll be for me. Easier clean up. Whats the story on wierd behavior on the road? How does it compare to a Detriot? I'm not so much worried about anything, Just lookin for input from ya'all...Lookin for any downsides to the idea. So far...I'm pretty much sold on it. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Now I just gotta wait for my welder to arrive. Bad ass machine too...Just under $1400 out the door, that includes- a 44lb spool of .035 wire, and the largest bottle of 75/25 C02/Argon shielding gas I could get, and thats not a rental. I'll own the bottle outright. Plus they fill it for free the first time. So no more usin the welders at work...I'm gonna go frickin nutz makin stuff.....Rock sliders, diff gaurds, skid plates, bumpers, roll cages, tube doors....haha, I'm gettin all excited now..lol. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. tRustyK5

It took me about 4 hours to weld em up. The majority of the time was removing and splitting the carrier and the re-assembling it all.

Wierd behavior? It's very predictable...just lot's of understeer. Basically it takes more steering effort through the corners. The steering wheel does return to center much quicker though. Barking the tires in tight turns...but you already knew that I'm sure.

I used MIG at work, machine set at 27 volts and about 240 amps. Less would do it...especially with smaller wire. I used .045 and a 75/25 mix.

Really the only time you'll really notice it is in a parking lot, and off-road. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Rene

12. Zeus33rd

Right on....Thats the kinda stuff I wanted to hear. Thanks Rene. Damn. wish my welder would get here. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I have never met the gentleman so I cannot comment on his moniker or its origon

14. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I have it in my truck and its just like said above---predictible---i like it more the the detroit I had before it (different axle) and you cant beat the $$$.

15. 300stw

300stw Registered Member

how does the truck hancdle while towing, i tow a horse trailer alot but i really need some positive differential in the rear. maybe someone could sell the spiders allready welded.

16. tRustyK5

I flat towed 2 Blazers last summer for a total of 4000 miles and it was fine. I never really noticed the welded diff.

If I didn't wheel my truck I'd go with a Gov-lock in a 14 bolt or a posi if i was still 1/2 ton. The number one reason I welded mine up was for off-road traction no matter what, the street manners and tire wear were much less important to me.

Rene

17. 300stw

300stw Registered Member

i dont care about the tires, i buy a new set yearly, really want the off road traction, just wondering how it might handle while towing as well as how it would drive on ice during the winter. have a detroit in another truck and its very annoying locking and unlocking while towing,specially in the corners,its still hard on tires

18. tRustyK5

Well there is no annoying locking and unlocking when it's welded...but like a Detroit it's gonna suck on ice. It's very predictable...

Rene

19. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

good answer
    it will suck like a detroit on ice,
    but it wont suck like an open on ice, you may actually be able to generate motion with a detroit or welded, an open simply can not

20. tRustyK5

The motion generated is usually lateral though.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif until the tree stops you./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Rene