Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has weled diffs?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I do!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Seriously though, I just got my welded 14bff in, and have taken it for 1 short drive. How long will it take for me to get used to the chirping? Also I would like to here how you have altered your driving style to deal with the welded diff.

Obviously I am now going to look for routes with the least amount of turns to get where I need to go, but what else should I know? Thanks

Harley

2. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

So how bad does it chirp-chirp-chirp-chirp-chirp-chirp-? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I am hanging my 14FF now and have a set of welded spiders from a friend.

3. Hossbaby50

It chirps quite abit. I could get my old LS 10bolt to chirp if I gave it enough gas, but now it is chirping alot. I guess it is just something I will have to get used to, or get a detroit that will unlock in corners. Probably just get used to it because I don't have the $ for a detroit.

Anyone have any driving issues I should be aware of with a welded diff. (beside ice & rain) Thanks

Harley

4. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

I'll just say---you get used to it---i kinda like the looks you get at the gas station when you "chirp, chirp,chirp" around the corner /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

5. NEOMASTINO2U

NEOMASTINO2U 1/2 ton status

i have a welded diff thanks to aaron, it chirps alot i mean any slight turning or even backing out of my driveway, i get alot of strange looks from people and cops now, only things is when you pull into a parking lot be prepared to loose a little rubber on your tires from turning slow, thats the only thing i don't like, its like someone is pushing the ass end of your truck to the side go to a parking lot and you will see and feel what i mean.
    kelly

6. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

I don't mean to be a stick in the mud or sound like a tree hugger, but welded diffs and spools are strictly for off road use only on low traction surfaces. I don't know about the legality of it in all areas, but I know if you are ever in a serious accident with a welded diff, you can get some major charges brought against you (unsafe vehicle alterations, reckless endangerment, etc.). Not to mention the driving hazard if you get in any sort of loose traction on the road and your rear end kicks out. I totaled my Z28 Camaro several years ago in a similar situation with a very tight posi. You will also have dramatically increased drivetrain and tire wear. Most spools are designed to handle the torques applied, but welded spider gears are not and when they go, they totally grenade. I've seen the results of mild drag cars where gear teeth shot through the housing like it was cardboard. Again, not trying to be a jerk but I thought maybe someone could learn from my mistakes, and I definitely believe a spooled or welded rear end used on public roads to be a huge hazard.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The risk with a welded 14 bolt is less than a factory gov-lock in many millions of 10 and 12 bolts straight from GM. It is no worse than a Detroit when you're on the gas and a lot more predictable during lane changes.

I have run a welded 14 in my Jimmy for nearly two years and over 20,000 miles. As for the legality or being charged with something if in a wreck, why on earth would or could they do that would be my first question, and secondly I have yet to see any cop pull a diff cover to see if my spider gears are welded after a wreck.

Yeah the tires bark and chirp on tight corners...so what?

Rene

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im lost whats this chirping thing your taking about?
    Bryan

9. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Het Harley did Marv weld them up for you?Mike

10. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

For the record, my detrioted rear end chirps almost as much as my old welded rear. Almost sorry I dropped the 300 bucks on it...
    Mike

11. Hossbaby50

No, Marv didn't do them for me. DesertDueler (Dan) did them for me. His father did the actual welding I think, and Dan did the 4.56 gear install on my 14bff.

12. Polaris

Polaris 1/2 ton status

Ok I'll give this a shot. Forgive me if I don't make any sense. Normally if your diff is not locked or welded, when you a turn a corner it "differentiates" the speeds that the wheels turn. Obviously the outer wheel needs turn more revolutions than the inner on the turn. If it is locked then it can't do the differentiating thing, so it kinda skids along or "chirps" on corners, especially in tight situations like parking lots. Clear as mud?

13. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I don't have it welded now, But I should have it welded this coming weekend. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Can't wait. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

is polaris right?

15. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Yup. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

16. tRustyK5

Andrea has been taking notes and paying attention /forums/images/icons/cool.gif She nailed it...

Rene

17. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

You really gnna do it man, tight

18. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Rene, I know a lot of people do it both in off road trucks and in drag cars. The thing is, spider gears are designed to have the torque applied rotationally, when you weld in between some of the teeth to keep the gears from meshing the torque is now being applied directly to the center of the gear. Here's a redneck analogy: /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Take an empty beer can on it's side and apply directional pressure with your hand and the can will simply roll. Now keep the can stationary and apply the same force directly down on the can. It will crush. Yes, spider gears are much stronger than beer cans, but the principal is the same. Given enough torque (which any SB Chevy has plenty of) in a tight spot or on a surface with good traction (drag strip, rock crawling, or launching your truck at a street light) it is possible to shatter the spider gears into a hundred pieces, shooting hot metal in all directions at the velocity of a bullet. Yes, this may never happen but if you want to be sure, the smarter way to go about it is to get a spool (which only run around $140) or I've even seen solid blocks that completely replace the spider gears (not sure what these run or if they are even available for a 14 bolt). Every drag racer with a welded rear end knows that they are sitting on a time bomb, it's common knowledge. Put one in a truck that uses a higher gear ratio, tall tires, and more low end torque than some drag cars and you have just multiplied the forces at work there. If you are easy on it, hopefully it will never break, but if the amount of torque it requires to force the tire to move ever exceeds the amount of torque one of these welded gears can withstand, kaboom! Also, Gov-locs are basically fail-safe. They have internal clutches which will wipe out well before the unit grenades. Even Detroits are designed in a way that they will shear off the working surfaces instead of exploding.

Companies that make traction aiding devices have put plenty of research into providing a functional product that is simple and as inexpensive as possible while still maintaining a level of safety. If welded gears were the ultimate solution, they would be out of business. Any traction aiding device will come with explicit warnings about decreased street-usability. As I'm sure you know, the chirping sound you are hearing is your tire being dragged against the ground, leaving behind far more material than under normal use. If you feel a locker that allows some ratcheting differential action to occur is just too expensive, compare that cost to your nice new set of $500-$1000 meats which will not last nearly as long with a spooled, blocked, or welded rear end. If you only intend to use the vehicle off-road then such a rear end may be a good choice, but if it's going to see any significant road use at all, you'll be much better off saving your pennies for a more forgiving solution. Enough soapbox preaching for me, /forums/images/icons/smile.gif everyone has the right to do what they will, whether they get home under their own power or are towed out is another matter completely. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

19. tRustyK5

I am still not worried about a spider gear failure. I have spares, and they are caged inside the carrier. I would choose a spool over welded in any other diff, but a 14 bolt with welded spiders doesn't concern me.

As for tire wear, that is the trade off with any traction aid worth having.The ARB and the OX are two exceptions, but neither is made for a 14 bolt and neither would be within my budget.The Gov-lock doesn't eat tires because it doesn't work very well if at all. They may have a theoretical fail safe inside but they still grenade...

I have exploded spider gears in a 12 bolt, but they were unmolested. Yes, they went through the cover, barely.

I respect your opinion, but I also disagree with it.

Rene

20. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

In response to ("everyone has the right to do what they will, whether they get home under their own power or are towed out is another matter completely.")

Not having the rear spider gears welded has caused me far more problems than with them welded. As far as them being a weak link when they are welded, that has not been my experience, I have broken several axle shafts over the years in rear ends with welded spider gears but have never broken the weld, spider, or side gears, I have broken 2-3 sets of spider gears in rear ends that were not welded. I will never have another rig that has a non-welded rear end.