Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who has what t-case...would you change it...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shagnaz, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

I want to know what people have besides stock t-cases.
    WMS, ORD doubler, Atlas, or Klune-V
    Would you change if you could do it again.

I am "in the air" about a added gear reduction and everything is sounding really nice and prices are pretty close.
    Please, let me know truthfully.

Thanks

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I want to know what people have besides stock t-cases.
    WMS, ORD doubler, Atlas, or Klune-V
    Would you change if you could do it again.

I am "in the air" about a added gear reduction and everything is sounding really nice and prices are pretty close.
    Please, let me know truthfully.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

WMS - Basically the same thing as the ORD Doubler.
    ORD doubler - This is what I have, great setup.
    Atlas - Cannot handle input from a high HP engine, not worth the $2500+ dollars.
    Klune-V - Nice to have a 5.1 lo, but another peice that cannot handle the big ponies.

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]

WMS - Basically the same thing as the ORD Doubler.
    ORD doubler - This is what I have, great setup.
    Atlas - Cannot handle input from a high HP engine, not worth the $2500+ dollars.
    Klune-V - Nice to have a 5.1 lo, but another peice that cannot handle the big ponies.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree that the WMS/ORD doubler is good hardware, but the Atlas is used on lots of rigs with pretty beefy engines. I wouldnt put one behind a blown 502 or anything, but I wouldnt hesitate to put it behind my 350 or a 383. and the Klune-V? never even heard about one of the Goliath model Klune's breaking...Im sure some one has broken one, but you can say that about any truck part ever made.

j

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have a WMS Dual Case setup in mine. I would definately recommend a Doubler (either ORD or WMS) in any Fullsize Rig. I think it has the best combination of gears for what I do here in Missouri. Make sure to Twin Stick the NP205 and add cutting brakes for more useability.

Heres my T-cases: [​IMG]

Clearance....

[​IMG]

Level Outputs/Input...

[​IMG]

My outputs are level with the inputs, plus the NP203 box is upside down. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

5. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

For me, I have a ORD doubler. Its nice, but I need something lower.

Ideally, I would have gone with a WMS 3.01:1 NP203 range box, then twin stick my NP205.

It comes down to power I guess. My 350 is not going to spin the world backward, but it won't break parts as often too, so I am stuck with lower gearing.

With my current set-up, I'm only at 51:1 mechanical crawl (102:1 with TC factored in) but with a 3:1 203, 76:1 mechanical (152:1 TC) crawl would be achieved. this would be better for my application, since I want to not use my gas pedal at all. I have seen rigs with 160:1 with a SBC, and they kick arse. Ken (crwln73) has about this (350FI, SM465, ORD Doubler, 5.86's) and he owns.

Other can't get low enough. 73K5tony wants a 5:1 Atlas III, so with that set up (402, SM465, Atlas III, 5.13's) he'd be at 168:1 with huge amounts of power.

Ideally, you'd be able to "test drive" each. but a lot of people use their rigs for lots of different things, so I'd go with a dual case set up.

p.s. There is no issue with the FS Atlas cases. If you put a BBC in front of a 21 spline Jeep version, what do you expect?

6. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

the atlas has only 2 choices 1:1 or 5.1:1 i have a doubler and i use the 2:1 a lot. and like zakk said you can change the 203 to 3:1 and have all kinds of options. 2:1,3:1,6:1. the atlas is lighter thou. i wouldnt change what i have, except maybe 3:1 for the 203 someday.

7. jekbrown

if u want more options, just do a 3:1 203 / atlas doubler. problem solved. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Project PITA over on the PBB board has that. thing has an insane crawl.

9. jekbrown

wonder if anyone runs a Klune-V + Atlas combo. That'd make for hella low gearing and be relatively lightweight for a 2 "case" system...

j

10. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    wonder if anyone runs a Klune-V + Atlas combo. That'd make for hella low gearing and be relatively lightweight for a 2 "case" system...

j

[/ QUOTE ]

DBLAZER is running this setup I believe.

11. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I'm running a NP203 -> NP205 via my own adaptor and WMS resplining my intermediate shaft. I haven't got my Th400 back from the tranny shop so I'm not sure how it will perform...I may eventually go to 3:1 Gears from WMS....Or just do it myself /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The Gears are welded...and noice the price is based on "exchange on range box" So I think they're using factory gears and simply re-arranging them and welding them back onto another specified shaft...As long as I can find what combo they're using, I can *easily* reproduce what they've done with just a little care.

12. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

In case you wanted to understand a bit more about "why" the ORD Doubler is built (and costs) the way it is....here's a link where Stephen describes the product extensively:

Dr. Watson speaks about the Doubler design...

Personally, whenever I look at the ORD products up close I just get this overwhelming sense that they really understand what it takes to build a quality product. All the little details are taken care of.... which makes it worth the slight premium in price. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif