Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who hates mud flaps?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by scoutillac, May 21, 2004.

1. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Who hates mud flaps? What was your worst road violation in your wheeler/DD?
    I hate mud flaps and how they look all together. I got several warnings and 1 fix it ticket. Luckily my rear bumper was 1/8" in spec for Wa state. We are aloud 29 1/2". I finally had to break down and get mud flaps. Damn mud flap laws. 3 days later a freakin honda accord threw a rock up and cracked my windshield. Maybe they need mud flaps too. I got out of one ticket on base because the cop blazers don't have flaps either so I brought that up to my 1st sergant. Cryin shame the law wasn't followin the reg either. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I dont nessarily hate them, I just dont like the look of big rubber things hanging down. If the law made me use them I would get those chrome ones with the ladies on

3. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yep, I hate them too. Hate the way they look... But, I got a fix it ticket and have to run them, oh well, life sucks then you die.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't care for how they look, but if that was the only equipment violation that I could be cited for, it'd be the least of my worries and I'd put 'em on.

5. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

What's the law on mud flaps in CA? I don't run them, but I only have 33's and like 2" lift. How about Oregon? I am taking a road trip to Bend sometime in the next few months, and I don't wanna get pulled over.

6. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Ca and Wa as far as I know your flaps have to be as wide as the tread face and must hang down to the centerline of the axle. So I now have the smallest flap I can legally get away with. They have a Chevy logo on them. It is a 101 dollar fine in WA if you don't have them.

7. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

Hate them badly and hate them more when trucks with 35's and smaller run the semi mud flaps bolted to their rear bumper, very cheap looking.

I am over height for Washinton state standards, with an aftermarket bumper they measure from the frame /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif , and my offroad lights aren't covered but if they ticket me for that then they need to get every other SUV out there running the Piaa's without covers /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Only the State Patrol really enforce the over height truck thing in my area the County has bigger fish to fry with the drug activity.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have 6" and 38.5s and with my new rear bumper I'm 5" over the legal limit in the rear! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

That said, they go by the frame if you have aftermarket bumpers.....and in IL if they measure your frame a stock truck with 33s is probably illegal the way it's written.

9. jester

jester Registered Member

I live about 30 miles from Bend,OR and drive my Jimmy over there all the time. I Don't know what the law is on mud flaps here, but my Jimmy has a 4'' lift and 33's and I have yet to get a single warning. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

I think Oregon wants them within 10" of ground, covering the width of the tread. I've never known anyone to get pulled over for that though.

11. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

Yea, i got ticketed for not having them, and the cop didn't write me a fix it, he wrote me an actual citation. Even sherriff told me that was a pretty ckicken-sh*t thing to do. It was a city cop. So i made these. I dont like em that much, but i dont really care. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    [​IMG]

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

when you make mudflaps they should be set up to tear away relatively easily
    it is preferable to have the flap pull out of the bracket without wrecking the bracket
    slot the mudflap bolt holes

mudflaps are ugly but I never liked getting sandblasted by trucks when I was in my car, so I run full size semi flaps

13. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I despise mud flaps. I swore I would never put them on my truck, but one fix-it ticket and that was it. I put them on, paid the $10 fine, then took them off the second I got home. No troubles since then, Cops in Central Cali have nothing better to do than pick on big trucks! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I personally don't care for them either. Luckly, they are not required around here. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I hate the freakin' things!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif I have gotten a fix-it ticket for them. I am going to okie on a couple flaps, get it signed off, and rip them back off in the court parking lot before I even leave. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What's the law on mud flaps in CA? I don't run them, but I only have 33's and like 2" lift. How about Oregon? I am taking a road trip to Bend sometime in the next few months, and I don't wanna get pulled over.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the tire sticks out from the wheel well, then you are required mudflaps. It's a hit and miss thing in CA and also officer discretion. My wife has been pulled over for it, though she was within the law.

We have the same thing out here in OK, but it's not a BFD to most of us.

[ QUOTE ]
    I am going to okie on a couple flaps,

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

17. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I HATE MUD FLAPS...
    IF YOU DONT LIKE MUD ON YOUR WINDSHIELD DON'T FOLLOW ME SO CLOSE...
    here in AZ there is a loop hole. Blazers are qualified as a 4wheeldrive station wagon. Wagons don't need flaps... but...modified rigs can be required to

18. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

violations:
    i've been pulled over twice in the last year by DPS
    they didnt notice...
    no side mirrors
    no wheel wells or fenders
    no speedo
    no odo
    no EPA equipment
    it pays to be a teacher... I just try to shoot the breeze with them and it has worked so far. THe law enforcment is cool up here for the most part. Probably all the meth users and makers that help them realize lifted trucks are the least of societies problems.

19. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I am going to okie on a couple flaps,

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    What? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I am just going to take them back off anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

20. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Your offending his roots...

Anywho, my flaps slide into my receiver and when I hit the trail they come off... I hate them, hate the way they look, but oh well. The biggest thing that bothers me is all day I see these big ass street trucks that never go off road with 18" of lift and 44x21" STS's and they never have mud flaps... And I see them go right by cops with no problems. I go by a cop with 6" of lift and they pull me over /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif