Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who here burns their own chips?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beastofablaze, Nov 23, 2005.

1. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

Basically I need a rundown of what to download from where using which software... I tried to use the free version of tunerpro to open a 7747 bin and instead of all the info it showed on other bins there was almost nothing.

Where can a get a complete 7747 .bin?

does the second number on the ecm play any role in what .bin to download?(861121)

How do i modify the .bins?

Also if any of you bought the pro prominator with the RAD-E (switch with the cover and blue display) and having bill solder it in how much was the total?

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

3. azblazer

azblazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Goto thirdgen.org and read up....lots to learn.

DW

4. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

As others have said, read over on third gen, particularly the stickies at the top of the DIY PROM forum. After you spend a few *days* reading, you will have enough knowledge and vocabulary to ask decent questions over there. I spent hours and hours, over days and days, doggedly studying one thread/article/post/sticky after another, and then repeating as my understanding grew so I could absorb things I missed or didn't get the first time. All that before I even felt like I knew enough to *start* asking questions...

And a short answer, you don't open a 7747 bin, you open a 7747 def/ecu file AND a bin specific to the PROM you want to work with. You'll know which bin when you look at the PROM in your ECM, or just read your own chip...

There simply are no short and direct answers. Trying to answer the question you pose would only open up an endless stream of additional questions and you still wouldn't get close to the understanding you need. There is no substitute for time and study on this subject.

5. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

To open the 7747 .bin with any editor porgram, you must have the $42 ecm.

You MUST have the correct ecm in order to view and edit the variables in your chip. To parrot BadDog, head over to www.thirdgen.org, read the stickies in the DIY prom forum, then use the search engine. If you do a search on my username (same as here) you already have several of the same questions that you are asking answered.

I must warn you about one thing though, DON"T EVER ask where to buy a chip or if some one can burn you one on that particular board. That seems to be the only real vorbotton topic there. I learned the hard way and I got my arse ripped big time for that. :rolleyes:

Other than that, don't be shy about using the search engine over there or asking questions. I found that if you are asking HOW or WHY something is done, instead of step by step instructions, you will get a MUCH better response.

Another thing, spend the $$ and get yerself a prominator. It's a flash-based replacement for the stock chip that eliminates the, pull, erase, burn and replace procedure of burning a new tune. The pro model allows you to litterally tune on the fly. You can open WinALDL in one window, make note of the areas that need adjustment; then open up tunerpro in another window, make your changes then download them into the ECM, all on the fly! Uh you definately want to do this from the passanger seat with someone else driving for obvious safety reasons! :haha:

Oh yea, one last thing, beware that buring your own chips is VERY addictive! There's always one more little tweak you will want to make. :D

6. beastofablaze

sent the money about 3 hours ago for the prominator but i just found out my ecm might be toast. 2 prongs are black and you can tell it arced in the ecm...

Is this normal?

Have any of you had this problem?

7. Wingnutt

Wingnutt 1/2 ton status

Sorry it's taken so long to get back, but it's been kinda crazy around here. Anyway, ANY arcing around an ECM is NOT a good sign. :rolleyes: If your truck can start and run, the ECM may just be dammaged. Best bet would trot down to a reputable bone yard and get a new ECM and use that one.

8. beastofablaze

No problem...

I went down to the junk yard and got a 7747(same as mine) out of an astro van.

:waytogo:

9. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

I'd avoid the headache of burning chips, get a moates (www.moates.net) ostrich emulator instead of the prominator. I'm very happy with mine.

10. beastofablaze

why would I want to do that? The Prominator does the same thing with the ability to save 6 different maps and switch em at the turn of a nob... plus I already sent the money and the ecm.

11. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

Not to flame, just some reasons that I bought a moates ostrich when I was in the market for ECU hacking stuff:

For one, the "standard" version doesn't/can't do tuning on the fly
    Tuning on the fly negates the need to store multiple images
    USB ostrich Vs. Parallel port prominator - plug and play, easier to troubleshoot IMHO
    I've seen lots of newer laptops W/O parallel but none W/O USB
    Ostrich support built into Tunerpro & TunerproRT
    Craig & Mark Mansur both very good at supporting products, very helpful, and active on mark's own forum and thirdgen.org
    Craig posted up good info on how to modify my own ECM on his website
    Craig sells all supporting hardware (Prominators own forum links to craigs site for memcal adapters, etc) - only 1 order to worry about
    I was under the impression that Prominators "Pro" version was more expensive than the ostrich but their purchasing page is down so I can't verify that now.

12. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

at first i was going to go with a Prominator but then i though about it you can only tune one computer with the Prominator. I ended up getting the pocket programer. Not only can i tune my own chips in all my trucks but i charge poeple i know a little cash to burn them a few custom chips which has paid for the programer already, and it is a little cheaper if you use eeproms because all you need is the programer and no UV light

13. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Do you have to buy new chips each time you burn one using the pocket programmer?

14. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

That "only one vehicle" is one of the reasons I eliminated Prominator. My current laptop also has only USB. I've got everything to do both of my trucks, but only got the K5 in process right now.

mouse: You can reuse eeprom and flash chips, or even eproms, many times. But at $6 each for the AT29C256 flash chips, it's convenient to have some extras.

15. beastofablaze

I got the pro version that can tune on the fly... it also comes with all the hardware needed to tune and the prominator software can be downloaded from the site for free. Also its a permanent replacement for an eprom therefore you will never have to pull out your ecm to tune... all you do is connect a cable to a lab top and tune.

With the rad E switch, pro version prominator, hardware, software, and having them solder it in the ecm it was $305 bucks total. Since I only have one k5 I went with the prominator... Plus I really like being able to save my maps( up to 6) on the prominator and all I need to do to switch them is turn a nob. Since I am in cali that is VERY usefull.

http://misterbill.homeip.net/aboutprominator.asp

They sound almost the same but I am interested in the price of the ostrich emulator.

16. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

http://www.moates.net/product_info.php?products_id=57

$175 on craigs site, plus shipping. I had previously bought a Pocket programmer II, some atmel chips and the moates G2 to adapt the atmel to my '7747 that was in the cheyenne.

I have the ostrich sticky-taped to my ECM and just run 2 cables out from under the dash (one serial for the ALDL scanner and one USB for the ostrich). I recently made an adapter to the 7747 harness so I could run a 16168625, and just soldered a zif right into the memcal for the ostrich. The ostrich will keep the last downloaded image under battery backup, so when I'm done tuning I just pull the USB cable and tuck it in the glovebox (next to my ECM)

Fortunately I live in MN and everything 25 years or older is exempt from emissions, and we don't have inspection or emissions testing for anything (even newer vehicles) so I don't have to worry about getting in trouble with the state.

17. beastofablaze

Oh.

Yeah the saving 6 maps thing is why I went with the prominator... plus the switch looks cool.:D :crazy:

Also I liked the idea of never having to pull of my glove box when i tune.