Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who here carries a PowerTank?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rockink5, Dec 8, 2003.

1. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

Or a version of it?

Considering buying a Power Tank. Does anyone here use co2? Have you ever wished you had straight compressed air? Have you ever ran out on the trail? My main worry about having to carry air was running out. I want to get the PT15, but I have still not sold myself on it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I dont run a powertank per se, but I do carry Co2 with me on the trail. I bought a 25 lb CO2 tank at the local air gas for $120 and a regulator from another local welding shop for $25. Ive aired up multiple sets of tires with it and it has done absolutely fine. Havent filled it up yet either and I have filled up probably 30 or so 35" tires. I cant run an impact with it because the regulator doesnt have enough flow capability. But it airs tires up just fine.

3. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I carry a home made power tank that I got from a CO2 shop (10lb tank, reg, etc) Never had to use it yet so dont know about needing straight air /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Or a version of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, i have a c02 bottle from a local welding/gas supply place with a independant 4x4 (mitsu wheelin supplier...) regulator/hose setup.

[ QUOTE ]
    Have you ever wished you had straight compressed air?

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

[ QUOTE ]
    Have you ever ran out on the trail?

[/ QUOTE ]

not yet. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    My main worry about having to carry air was running out. I want to get the PT15, but I have still not sold myself on it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

assuming you dont use the thing for airtools or let everyone on the trail air up with it b4 you do, you shouldnt be running out. nifty thing about a co2 bottle with a high volume regulator is that you can reseat tire beads... AFAIK most OBA compressor setups dont do this.

j

5. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    assuming you dont use the thing for airtools or let everyone on the trail air up with it b4 you do, you shouldnt be running out. nifty thing about a co2 bottle with a high volume regulator is that you can reseat tire beads... AFAIK most OBA compressor setups dont do this.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I don't plan on using air tools with it. A friend of mine has the 10lb version, and on one trip we did run it out. Granted it was on a week trip. Two or three fill ups on the trucks, filling quad tires and air mattreses.That was alot of use thats why I am looking at a 15lb one. But then again with my own, it would be my own.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

could always get the 20 lb tank. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i do carry a lil 12v air compressor that I can use as an emergency backup if I need it. In reality, I dont use much air... mainly cause I run different tires onroad and off so airing up/down isnt such a big deal.

j

7. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Or a version of it?

Considering buying a Power Tank. Does anyone here use co2? Have you ever wished you had straight compressed air? Have you ever ran out on the trail? My main worry about having to carry air was running out. I want to get the PT15, but I have still not sold myself on it. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Hey Dan, Friz and I had ours out at Blazer Fest. We both run homemade versions of it and I love mine. I use it for EVERYTHING from blowing up my air mattress at camp to running air tools out on the trail(even at home somtimes, it's quicker than letting the compressor charge up) I use it without holding back cause I get me gas for free form a friend. It's awesome to use for tires. Although the pressure will vary with the outside temp. I do find myself airing up my tires more often when I just use the Co2. If I use the Co2 on my kids bike tires, they will be flat the next day for some reason. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. moneypit

moneypit 1/2 ton status

PT15 here. Love it. fill it twice a year for $15 each time. My other truck has a OBA setup, but what good is that when you r in a bad position and can't run the motor.....

9. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

10. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Try this link... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2557859397&category=1267 This is the best deal out there for NEW or used..Regulator around $40.00...

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn You!!!!

I was not wanting to make my own, but after seeing that, I just priced all the stuff and I can build an actuall "powertank" with their regulator and stuff, get a mount for a 20lb tank and that and still be cheaper than a PT15, with no acc. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

12. rockink5

rockink5 1/2 ton status

The only thing with the normal regulators are that there are no gauges on them.

I really like these................

[​IMG]

This way I can know exactly how much PSI is left and can set my out pressure

13. alaska k5

alaska k5 Registered Member

First off you only need a Outgoing Pressure Guage. That other guage is to let you know how full the tank is and will read full until it is within just a few seconds of being empty.

CO2 is a liquid and expands to a pressure of about 500-700 psi inside that tank. It maintains this pressure until the liquid is all boiled off and then you have one small tank with that pressure in it. By the time the "Full Guage" registers that you are losing pressure your screwed.

Best way to tell how full your tank is to weigh it. If you go to a welding shop the weight of the tank will be stamped right onto the tank itself. Just put it on a scale subtract the bottle weight and presto you know how much CO2 is left.

I run C02 and love it. The greatest thing that I like about my setup is the portability. If I am mired down in the muck on a tight trail and a guy three rigs back blows a tire off the bead I can just grab my tank and go help him out.

Here is a link to how I put my setup together.

http://www.wheelingadventures.com/Northern4x4/ikonboard.cgi?s=3830c9e11752befa158d63a213529621;act=ST;f=2;t=346;hl=co2

Here is a picture.
    [​IMG]

That also includes a little writeup on what to use to convert your ARB to manual switches cause I hate them selenoids!

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yup, portable!! Great!
    I have the 10lb Power Tank, used it loved it!
    For reseting beads you cant beat the blast from a CO2 tank.
    150PSI in one SHOT and POP POP the bead is reset! Ya Ya you can do that with zippo fluid but I don't like fire that much!! hehehehe
    Co2 ROCKS!
    Runnning out is THE only concern!
    Late

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

16. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Yep, I have one and love it. The last time I used it was when I pulled a Ford pulling a trailer out of the ditch. He had a flat tire. So I pulled him out, plugged his tire and filled it with air. He was AMAZED I carried all that stuff. He offered to pay me, but I told him if he ever saw me stuck in the ditch, he better stop and help. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

If you have a Pepsi distributor near you, you can put down a $25 deposit on the 20lbs tank and use it for FREE since you get your deposit back when you are done with it. The refills are $15.

I also have the http://www.williamsballoons.com/co2_regulators.htm regulator. I bought the model 150 with the static 125 lbs reg. It was $35 shipped since I belong to a 4x4 club. The hose was another $4.

On these tanks, you weigh the empty bottle vs. the full bottle, then you know roughly how much CO2 you have left.

[​IMG]