Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who here does there own home improvements?--And wished they didn't?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by COCHEV, Jul 27, 2003.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

Who here does there own home improvements?--And wished they didn\'t?

i build houses for a living, but for some reason when it comes to working on my own place, i turn into a retard and screw up the easiest stuff. then i just get so pissed cause it looks like crap and i'm supposed to be good at this stuff. Grrrrrr. plus i'm on a much smaller budget then the homeowners i build for so i don't get to use the best stuff. and when you screw up a cut that material is coming out of your pocket. it took me twice as long as it should of today to put up 4 fricken rows of siding. i ended up ripping it off and doing it over. must have looked pretty funny from the neighbors house to see me ripping siding of the wall and throwing it in the lawn. what else do i have to do on a sunday anyways.

i guess its like the mechanic who drives a total roach to work every day. it just seems never ending all the crap i need to fix around here. remindes me of the movie The Money Pit with Tom Hanks. anyone who's worked on their own place can relate to that.

i need a vacation

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: Who here does there own home improvements?--And wished they didn\'t?

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif I hear ya. I can build awesome vechiles, but my truck looks like sh*t. I love working on everybody else's vechiles, but hate to turn wrenches on myown !!! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    fricken rows of siding.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL... They are called courses... Not rows... Maybe you should hire a contractor... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe you should hire a contractor

[/ QUOTE ]
    very funny. i am a contractor. didn't know someone was going to get all technical on me. way to make me feel even worse! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Hire a contractor. while i'm at it i should go ask some one for directions too. rrriiiiiiiight.

5. landsmasher

OH that's way too funny... Geeesh... Ya it's like being a mechanic with a car that barely runs... But I feel your pain. I pound nails for a living too. My place is on wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Last thing I want to do at the end of the day is pound more nails... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I was self employed as a drywaller/remodeler some years back and currently am redoing our home. I've learned the best way to do a good job on your own home is to take your time and think it out thoroughly. Don't rush anything as thats your biggest enemy. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. GORRILLA

GORRILLA 1/2 ton status

Don't feel bad, I'm a sparkie, and I set boxes for receps for a living, When I wired my garage, it took two trips to Lowe's for the right parts, and I still didn't get the boxes flush with the drywall!
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I find doing stuff for yourself that you tend to cut corners you wouldn't normally cut. No risk of being fired or not getting paid.

I have to try and make myself beleive what I'm doing is for someone else...then I'll be likely to follow all the procedures that help me do my job the best I can just like when I'm at work. There is no time to be saved, there is only one 'right' way to do the job.

Rene

9. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    There is no time to be saved, there is only one 'right' way to do the job.

[/ QUOTE ]

and thats exactly why i ripped the, ah hum "COURSES" of siding off and did em again. 20 bucks a stick too. better then the front of a carpenters house looking like a hack job. i've redone 2 of the bedrooms so far- gutted em and put in new insulation, windows, drywall, paint and trim. the whole deal. now i'm redoing the front of the house for some curb appeal- covered entry, new facia and siding. whats scary is the front wall of my house is 3/4" out of plumb. what do you want for an early 70s track home /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif its like tha saying - you can't polish a turd. i will definately build my own home some day.

10. landsmasher

Dealing with an un-square out of plumb structure is second nature in CA. We have a saying here. If God wanted houses to be square, He would have made trees straight. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Dealing with an un-square out of plumb structure is second nature in CA. We have a saying here. If God wanted houses to be square, He would have made trees straight.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Exactly! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif And if it was plumb when you built it, after a quake or 2 it won't be. More than one wall in my house is 2" out of plumb. So no one ever wall papers with vertical stripes around here. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

12. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    OH that's way too funny... Geeesh... Ya it's like being a mechanic with a car that barely runs... But I feel your pain. I pound nails for a living too. My place is on wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Last thing I want to do at the end of the day is pound more nails... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder how you would feel if you were a gynocologist? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

13. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I wonder how you would feel if you were a gynocologist?

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I'm sorry, hunny, but I just can't look at another coochie today. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

There is a big difference between looking at a cake all day and eating it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. landsmasher

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With my fingers... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Horny. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif