Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who here has broke both drivelines at once??????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkulzNBonz, Sep 9, 2002.

1. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

BIGRIG has!!!! Sorry Chris, since nobody else has posted your misfortune, I took the oppurtunity. Here's the story. Disney, OK, last weekend, on a trail I have learned is lovingly called the "Ho Chi Minh" trail by the locals, and to those of us that were in Disney this spring as the "Yellow Monster" trail. This trail is some of the steepest, tightest, off camber stuff I've ever seen. We all decided to follow one of the locals up and around. About a quarter of the way through, we were asked "y'all got lockers, right?". The answer was a resounding "NO". Of the group of us there, only a jeep and the local had them. On top of this trail being steep and tight, it is nothing but shale (loose rock) and dirt. We had come to the bottom of a particularly steep and loose hill. The first two (both being locked front & rear) made it up with minimal difficulty, the third made it up after a couple of attempts, then came my turn. After battling a good ten minutes I took the end of a winch line and went up. Next came Wakeboard&4x4er. He took a winch after a couple of shots. Last came BIGRIG (Chris), and without really getting started, a couple of loud "pops" and some other nondescript noises came from the bottom of the hill. After a few minutes, it was determined that the rear slip yoke was busted, and the front driveshaft was in two pieces. WOW!!! Anyway, the rest of us had to leave Chris and complete the trail, then remove the drivelines from Brett's (Wakeboarder) truck to get Chris out, because there is no way to be towed out of there. And a legend is born............

John

2. mercercadet

mercercadet 1/2 ton status

sounds interesting...don't ya wish ya had a video camera for that sort of stuff? /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

my dad's friend did once. he had an old ford on 38s and bet my dad $1 he could spin all 4 in the parking lot they were in. so he stomped on the gas, let the clutch out and they all spun about 1/2 a turn then BANG BANG BANG! he blew one u-joint in the front axle, the front shaft, rear shaft and the stubby shaft between the case and tranny. but he got his dollar. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Sounds like you guys had fun! I really like Ho Chi Min but if you really want some excitement you need to try the Extension trail backwards at night! When we turned into the Extension, we literally had to do 3 point turns into a deep crevasse which resulted in 8 foot of air under the right front tire! When the front end settled down into the Vee, and we continued up the hill (in the crevasse) I tried to snake around a couple of trees with the soft top on and tore a hole at the first bow - get it, a tree was vertical and so was I. Brett should remember - he rode shotgun.

What makes that shale hill fun on Ho Chi Min is when you run it at night and have to stop half way up and wait for theBigdaddyof2 to get over a stump. Then start forward progress all using a manual tranny! Fun stuff! Lets see pics.

5. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

>>>>>>> /forums/images/icons/grin.gif <<<<<<<
    <font color="red"> THIS GUY!!!! </font color>

I have'nt even started to look for a yoke yet. We towed it back and rolled it into the driveway. The sad thing is the neighbors didn't bat an eye at the truck bieng towed home. Of course the first question in the door...What did you do to it now?
    Oh well by the way I'm looking for a rear 27 spline slip yoke(in case you got some extras) /forums/images/icons/wink.gif .
    Still had a blast and can't wait for the pictures and the next trip!

Chris

6. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

We did just weren't taping at the time to busy running winch cables up the hill. Here is a link to the pics for the weekend.
    Pics of the fun

7. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

I have and i wasn't even on the gas.
    Honestly i'm not sure how it did it. I ws winching a guy out of the mud and had it in park and the linelock set and the winch pulling HARD!!! When all of a sudden we heard a bang the rear then front went out. At first i thought it had jumped out of park but come to find out the linelock released and that was enough.
    Strangest break i've ever had.

8. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I think we did the Extension, but it was day time and we went the other way. the 3 piont turn you are talking about (where Ken Broke it Str. Box off the frame) I recall, beacuse that is were i about hit the same tree that put a hole in are soft top. On the Extension i had me truck on a 35D leen all the way down /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif !!!

later

9. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

Who like to give BJs and has two Thumbs!!

That guy!!! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

10. SkulzNBonz

I thought maybe that was Extension-but that surely isn't a descriptive enough name. Somethin' like "BE-OTCH!!!!" would be more appropriate. I could really use a map or guided tour of the area to point out the names of all the areas of interest.

John

11. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

I found a map with all the names and color coded......remember all the spray paint on the trees. http://www.extreme4wheelin.com/images/grand_map.jpg It's on Steve Sharp?(too many steves) site. Lots of sweet pics too. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

*Brett pointing at himself* &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif &lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;
    <font color="red"> THIS GUY </font color>

12. SkulzNBonz

Thanks! Too cool /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Should have known Steve Sharpe would have it mapped out. Still don't know which friggin trail we ran that day. It's a blur of up and down-off camber stand on the brakes, etc..... I really didn't have much time to do anything but DRIVE. My seat cushion has a cool crease from my cheeks holdin' on for dear life LMAO /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif !!!

John