Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

who here has done a carb to TPI swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by beater74, Feb 12, 2003.

1. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

i'm looking for people here who have done a TPI swap, so i can bug the heck out of them with all my ?'s.

any helpfull hints or tips would be great.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm in the process, blazzinor has done it, bigray71(sp?) has too.

3. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

your going to regret giving me that info. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

one part i'm having a hard time finding is replacment throttle cables.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats because so far, no one knows what stock application is the right length.

I looked at an 80's Astro the other day, and the throttle cable was longer than any I've ever seen before. I couldn't get the stupid thing unclipped from the floor, so I had to leave it.

A full size later TBI GM van might be something else to check. I'm hoping/guessing that GM didn't change the pedal to firewall length, nor the length from throttle cable bracket to throttle body.

Lokar makes throttle cables, thats most likely the easiest route, but perhaps not the cheapest. I don't like them because they are too fancy looking for my truck /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I did mine in 1989, so some of the details are getting kinda fuzzy. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I found a throttle cable that worked perfectly, but I can't recall exactly what I got it from. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Seems that it was something like a Grand Am or an Olds Calais type of car. The factory 'vette one that came with my engine was definitely too short. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">I did this, you can bug the hell out of me if you want. My conversion is not 100% complete yet, I still have a lot of work to do with the PROM and I keep burning up coils for some reason /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif/forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif. I used a stock 91 Camaro throttle cable. It's a little long in the engine compartment side as you can see below, but it still works very well. I have a 1st gen where you guys have 2nd gens so that may or may not work for yours /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. I also added an extra throttle return spring. My helpful hint to you would be to start off with a speed density (90-92) system. Here's some pics I took Webshots

[​IMG]