Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Who here has lost an inner bead?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Dec 29, 2005.

?

Who has lost an inner bead

1. No, never I am too good a driver

21 vote(s)
    34.4%
  2. Yes, but I don't have safety beads

11 vote(s)
    18.0%
  3. Yes, and I do have safety beads

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
  4. Im nekid and have "special" beads

29 vote(s)
    47.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Question is who here is running normal beadlocks i.e. not H1s or the like or an internal such as staun just plain ol beadlocks and has lost an inner bead. If so what pressure were you at if you recall and was it on a rim with a safety bead. I am looking to get beadlocks and do not want to pay the huge cost for double beadlocks plus I want to keep my 15s. I can buy 5 of Kerts beadlocks for just over the price of 1 double beadlock that is 15".

Thanks

Ira

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  2. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

i just picked up some beadlocks from a guy they are regular type weld on except they have an aluminum ring and the bolts sit in a groove, pretty nice so i dont have to worry about bolts breaking or being hard to get socket on.. but anyways he put a huge weld along the inner part of the rim about 1/2 " away from the far inside of rim.. i guess it depends on the bead of the tire but im running 44" interco's .. so the bead sits in between the inside lip and the weld .. makes it a pain in the ass to get the tire off so we had to have a shop do it .. but he said he has not popped an inner bead and he said he ran down to 0 psi before ... so that might be an option .. i havent had it out yet to test out that but it sounds like it will work

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Judging by the poll not many people run beadlocks but there are quite a few fans of Chris Benoit:D .

Ira

4. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Along the lines of the weld but a little cleaner is to take some 1/8" rod or so and put it in the rim near the inner bead seat. It definitely makes the tire hard to get on or off. Never seen it necessary on anything other than a 16.5".

It works but has its draw backs as well. I guess you have to ask yourself how often do you plan on removing your tires.

5. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

i think the guy might of actually welded rod in their im not to sure i did not look at it really just put my tires on haha it is a 16.5" rim ... what are the draw backs besides dismounting a tire?im curious since i do have them now ... have you ever thought of making beadlocks where the bolt sits in between a little valley cybrfire?mine had somthing written on them like agressor 2 or somthing laong those lines ... i dont know anything about the beadlocks that i got really

6. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

So far it seems that if the rim has a safety bead then loosing the inner bead does not seem to be a problem, which I am glad to hear.:D Even paying someone to weld the rings on for me I will have alot less into my beadlocks than a double set. I am not doing comps or anything so I do not think the doubles are warranted.

Ira

7. basing110

basing110 1/2 ton status

here is a pic of the guys jeep with teh beadlocks on it .. if you look where the bolts are in between each one they are raised up to just over the top of the bolt and have enought clearance for a socket to fit [​IMG]

8. wildmouse216

wildmouse216 1/2 ton status

Check out article in FEB 2006 issue of Four Wheeler magazine on this subject: BUILT IN BEAD BREAKERS page 64.

9. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I run Kurts beadlocks on my 16.5's...and lost an inner bead at Blazer Fest in Hollister Hills while on the Mini Rubicon. I think I was at like 6 or 7psi. Kurt was there...He watched it happen too. I believe we even talked about ways to fix the problem. Whenever I decide to take my tires off, I'll prolly weld a rod around the inside of the rim like mentioned above.

10. cybrfire

By the time you start making the beadlocks out of thick enough material to make "guards" for each bolt head your talking alot of machining time. I try to keep products simple. While all the bolt heads are protected, what does it really cost to grind a boogered bolt head off and stick in a new bolt or two hear and there. I've seen the countersunk head ones get damaged enough to the point where you can't get a allen wrench in the whole. Much more difficult to repair later.

Alot of this stuff just apply the "K.I.S.S." theory and you'll be happy in the end.

Look like cool beadlocks though. Nice score.

11. cybrfire

Yep, I was standing about 4 feet from the tire and Pufff. it was flat. A high percentage of the time the inner bead sees very little forces to pull it away from the bead but it does happen. I would venture to say that it will happen to any size rim whether it has a safety bead or not when all conditions are met, hence the double beadlock.

Alot of folks bash the 16.5 rim. I'm sure most have had bad experiences. If its prepped properly it will work for you off road. Just a side note. I have three 4x4's currently and everyone of them has 16.5" rims.

Here's the things I like about 16.5" rims. I can (USUALLY; see below) mount and dismount them without any special tools or machines. I haven't as of yet had to grind a caliper. Last but not least, good tires are available cheaper for the 16.5" than any other size due to the fact that people get sick of popping beads and sell thier tires and change to something else.

I say usually because I recently built a "Cheetah gun" to help mount tires. They had set on thier sides for a long time and have faily stiff side walls. Needed to blow them on the rim. Yes, I've tried the either method. All my hair has grown back and will not go there again!!!!:haha:

12. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why not just get the Staun beadlockers? They're great! And you can 'take them with you' when you change/damage wheels.

13. cybrfire

Would you guys like to see a quick write up on the "rod solution" to the 16.5" inner bead?

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I like the idea of Stauns but I do not like the coinage I would have to drop for 5 of them. Plus I like the look of Kerts mudlock plate:D

I would even though I run 15s and I have a safety bead I might go that route in the future if I can't seem to keep the inner bead on the rim:D .

Ira

15. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Yes,definately...My next project is either a cage or beadlocks(DIY of course).

16. PDXCHVY

PDXCHVY Registered Member

Yes do it, I was looking at your kits and i'm thinking of getting one come febuary.

17. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

On a 17" rim which has a safety bead but I was on the dunes at about 3 lbs

18. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I have 16.5's and I'm very happy with them :rolleyes: :D